Menu

Life Science/Cell Experiments, Labs, and Activities?

marlowefamily

I pulled my third and fifth grader out of public school over the summer, and started home schooling, and have been trying to come up with a nice comprehensive science program until 9th grade.

Tentatively, I've planned:

5th Grade, this year - Life Science and The Cell

6th Grade - Earth Science and Astronomy

7th Grade - Chemistry & More Biology

8th Grade - Physics & More Astronomy (Try to get them to do real amateur science)

So, far things have mostly gone well.   We procured a nice microscope with digital camera and example slides.  Both kids have been experimenting with making their own slides. I'm not sure if they are doing the slide making 100% correct.  They've made model cells/etc and memorized most of the parts of the cell.

We've read most of Ellen McHenry's book, started to go through the Harcourt 7th Grade Life Science Textbook and are also taking selected parts out of the Tiner text/workbook from Memoria Press.

I'm considering having the kids setup a terrarium so they can simulate a mini ecosystem perhaps with a lizard and numerous tiny plants/animals.

What we're missing I think is a good experiments, activities, and labs.  I've gone through books, but most experiments seemed to be aimed at either the young elementary w/ minimal equipment or older high school student who is presumed to have a bigger lab.

And, a lot of the interesting cell stuff is also difficult to see with just an optical microscope - although looking at pond water and recently living blood is great.

What experiments/labs/activities would other home schooling parents recommend?  Is there a great list already prepared somewhere?