Menu

IEW - is it summary only?

pocjets

The focus of IEW is practicing writing without having to come up with the ideas. It keeps adding to the complexity of sentences the student is writing. This is why it might seem like it is just summarizing--the student takes the content from a paragraph or story and rewrites it in his own words. I think the last section in SWI-A (if this is the one I have) is taking notes from your brain. That is, organizing your own ideas and then writing a paragraph on them.

HTH!

IEW teaches much more than summarizing.  We've done SWI-B and are now looking forward to using their high school materials.  FWIW, IEW is what SWB recommended in TWTM before she published her own writing curriculum.

The nine IEW units, referenced by a PP, are:  note-taking and outlines, summarizing from notes, summarizing from narrative stories, summarizing references and library reports (2 units), writing from pictures, creative writing, essay writing, and critiques.  As PP wrote, not all units are covered in all levels - its a progression.

You can see the scope and sequence for SWI-A if you go to the product page and then click on the samples tab.  The S&S is on page 8 of the "sample" pdf.  (I haven't been able to provide a link on this forum for several days, or else I would link it for you.)