Menu

Homeschooling in South Carolina

We just found out there is about a 90% chance my husband's job is going to take us to South Carolina in a few months. (10% chance he will stay here, work from home and travel to SC once a quarter.)

We'll be moving to Columbia.

Of course, my first thought was about homeschooling. I've been reading what I can find about laws etc but would love to hear from people there as to how it works and what their experiences are. 1st option, 3rd option-what do you use and why? (I can't really find much on what the 2nd option is.)

Also, what is the library system like? Is there much in the way of cultural arts? We love visiting the art museums here, attending plays and the symphony etc. my son plays cello and my daughter is learning ballet.

What about outdoor recreation? We have access to so much hiking, so many gardens, so many biking trails,camping places etc here. I wil be sad to leave all this. We live in the outdoor capital of the Midwest right now and I love it. Will I find (free) outdoor recreation opportunities in Columbia?

I have lived in Ohio for most of my life. I love it here but I am excited to experience a new place. Just a little nervous as well. :-)

That's where I am. Send me a PM with your email address and when I'm on the computer I can send you a document that I have typed up that I give my friends/acquaintances who ask me about homeschooling here. We use third option because we don't want to be under the school district and second option is very expensive.

Richland County Public Library system is very good. Lexington County system is good as well. I have cards to both and between the two can find almost everything I want/need.

We have an art museum, other museums, several professional ballet companies, several theaters, a symphony, etc.

Outdoor recreation is mainly centered on the rivers in Columbia, and there are state, county, and town/city parks, as well as Congaree National Park nearby. Lake Murray is close also. We're two hours from the mountains and two hours from the beach.

Almost everyone uses a 3rd option....accountability association.    You enroll with the association and they give you the "legal cover" to homeschool.    Associations range in services (some offer transcripts, field trips, graduation while others offer essentially nothing but the legal cover required), they also range in fees (I've seen them from $10 a child all the way up to the most expensive I've seen at Carolina Homeschooler at $75 a child).  1st option requires you to be under the jurisdiction of your school board.  Ick!  2nd option is under the jurisdiction of a state operated oversight board...ick and $$$$.

Columbia area has a very vibrant homeschooling scene.   It offers alot of nature and culture...it is the state capitol so several good musuems.   You are about 90 minutes from the beach (Charleston area...and tons of historical stuff there) or 90 minutes from the mountains (Upstate/Greenville area).