Menu

Chicago area people, fastest route to Evanston?

Perry

Dd and I are doing a college visit to Northwestern tomorrow,  Because of my schedule, we can't leave until 8:15 and we need to be there by 1:00.  It's going to be tight!  I'm coming from I-88 to 294N.  From there, what is the fastest way?  The NW website suggests taking Dempster, but I've done that years ago and it took FOREVER.  Is there a better way?

You might want to stay on I-88 to I-290 to I-90 to I-94 and exit at Dempster (will put you closer to Evanston)

Or take 88 all the way to 290 to 41 (Lake Shore Drive). LSD turns into Sheridan. Make sure you turn right when LSD ends and you will go past Loyola. Continue on, past the cemetary that boarders Chicago and Evanston. That turns into South Blvd. Go to the second set of lights (Chicago Ave.) At the light turn right and continue north on towards NU. The road will take you right to the NU campus. Do you know where you are going on campus? The north lot by Fisk Hall is all torn up with construction and there is construction in downtown Evanston all over the place.

LSD would probably be moving okay but, if you should go that way, once you get off at Hollywood, don't take Sheridan Road going north. Sheridan has major construction going on and it is a beast to get through. Instead, travel north on Broadway until it hits Sheridan. Then get on at Sheridan. You will still have to go through a little bit of Edgewater and Rogers Park (neighborhoods) and then all of southern Evanston. That means you will hit a lot of lights. Eventually, you'll have to get on Sheridan, too, which is a twisty and confusing road in Evanston. I take LSD into the city and those sections take a long time to get through.

You could also take 294 to Dempster and then take either Potter or Greenwood north to Golf. Golf has a few less lights than Dempster. When you pass McCormick Road, Golf becomes Emerson. Take that and then after you pass Maple Avenue, veer right onto Elgin which should take you to the Admissions Office on Clark. Is that where you're going?

If you need help parking around there, I can give you some suggestions. I visit Evanston a lot and know the area around NU fairly well.