Menu

Moving from MT to NY state and Homeschool

Joebusify

Hello Everyone,

I currently live in Bozeman, MT and will move near Syracuse next June. My 8 yo and 12 yo will provide me with many hours of work and excitement. My 12 yo is currently reading Dostoyevsky and loves algebra; her sibling is fascinated with math and computer programming.

Like most of us have discovered, the public school system does not 'cut it' anymore. I have had to put with the usual nonsense of children being bullied and ostracized, especially for being more intelligent than their counterparts.

My approach is secular-classical; however, since I have taught religious survey courses, they will have a healthy dose of knowledge about the Abrahamic, Buddhist, and other faith traditions. Also, due to my training, they will be required to have at least one year of Latin, French and Spanish fluency, and one other language with, at least, reading fluency. When they go to another country, I want them to be able to find a restroom, order dinner, read the newspaper, and have a lucid and intelligent conversation with people of different nationalities.

For math and science, I am not worried. I was in the Navy nuclear power program and my spouse has an excellent grasp of biology, chemistry, and physiology from her profession.

I am eager to start and give my children the tools to succeed.