Menu

Jumping Ahead in Saxon?

djunec

So this is our first year homeschooling.  We are using Saxon for math and I am really liking it.  The problem is my daughter already knows all the material so far.  I know that the beginning is usually review, and Saxon seems very thorough.  But it seems silly to review counting change when she has know that for a few years now.  My question is have any of you skipped ahead in the book until you got to spot that you knew it was new material? I was thinking I would look through the book, find where I know she would start to be challenged and then go back 4 or 5 lessons.......any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I did do the placement test.  She is in 3rd and we are doing saxon 3 as the placement test recommended.  She is just getting board and I do not want that!

Another thought just occurred to me. There are assesments every ten lessons. Maybe I could give her those and when she gets some wrong I can go back and start from there.

Yes, this is what we do, my kids hate the review at the beginning. So we do just the tests until they get to new material or to something that actually needs review.