Menu

AAS need help

I have a 7 year old and she's not very good at spelling, I just started this program and she knows how to spell certain words and now I am trying to teach her the guidelines the reasoning behind the spelling of the words instead of memorizing them.  Is this book where I just read from the book and work the exercerises with her?  Is there another book that I can  use with this book?  I just want to make sure I am doing things right.  Trying to get her on the right track and learning from my mistakes from how I was taught.  Also, how do you feel about teaching grammer in 2nd grade, what other things should I be doing with her at home.  I feel like her school is not giving enough.  I have math covered, but with 3rd grade coming up I am trying to get her ready too for this coming up summer.  Thank you for any advice you can give me since I am new at this. 

I don't know enough about spelling programs to help with that but I can comment on grammar. Our school starts grammar in second grade and we've started at home already using First Language Lessons (minus the copywork exercises). FLL is easy to afterschool with because it is a nibble method. We read it at the dinner table. So if you want to do grammar, then go for it!

With AAS, do you have the teacher manual only or did you get the child pack?  If you just got the teacher manual, then use a white board or make your own tiles.  And yes, you basically read from the book and have her do the exercises.  Keep it short.  15-30 minutes is good.  The best thing about this program is the daily review.  You review all sounds until they know it without thinking (with flashcards) and same with the rules.  They will get a lot of practice with the dictation.  

As for grammar, I'd second FLL or another "bite size" type grammar program.