Menu

Singapore Question (placement tests from Saxon, Horizons, etc.)

SFM

So, we have used Singapore 3A/3B coming from Horizons for the end of 2nd grade (when we pulled our son out of PS). I decided to have him do the placement tests for Saxon and Horizons after his 3rd grade books were complete and I am getting nervous. There are some things we have not really covered. For instance, we didn't get into decimals. I understand that Singapore has a different scope and sequence. We really like the program but I am a tad concerned...thoughts?

Also, should I just teach the topics that we didn't master this year in seclusion, that seems anti Singaporean theory. I want to trust the method but I am curious as to what others have found.

If you do the whole sequence, then you'll be fine.  They do some things early, others later.  Nothing to worry about.  Saxon and Horizon do a different sequence.  If you're thinking of switching, then yes, you'll need to do some topical work before moving on.  But if you're planning to stick with Singapore, then you'll be fine. 

If you do the whole sequence, then you'll be fine.  They do some things early, others later.  Nothing to worry about.  Saxon and Horizon do a different sequence.  If you're thinking of switching, then yes, you'll need to do some topical work before moving on.  But if you're planning to stick with Singapore, then you'll be fine. 

Thank you for your response. We have no intention of switching as we have been very pleased thus far, I was concerned only when I saw the placement tests. I will continue to press on and trust the methodology and the sequence, thanks again.

Saxon and Horizon are more typical American style math. 

The general advice is not to make any changes in your math cirric mid-elementary years.  Pick a curric and stick to it unless it's really not working out.  I was recently tempted to switch from Singapore but decided a better route would be to supplement where my child needed it rather than try to get her ready to jump into a different sequence.  We really do enjoy Singapore and it's working well for both of my children. 

Decimals are taught in grade 4, and you do all 4 operations on decimals in grade 5. By the end of grade 5, you've basically covered "elementary arithmetic". When my son finished 5B, I looked at the Saxon placement test, and he would place in Saxon Algebra 1/2. When he was almost done with 4B, he would have placed in Saxon 7/6.

There is no need to worry about scope and sequence differences unless you plan to switch curricula. Singapore does some things earlier than other curricula, but that doesn't mean that someone using the other curricula needs to fill in those concepts in an earlier grade. It will be covered. Don't worry about it. If there were something that was never taught, THAT would be the time to worry. :)