Menu

AAS and/or AAR for Kinder?

teachingmy3

My youngest is 5 and will be doing kinder this year. She loves to be read to and can read some. I did a bit of Hooked On Phonics with her last year. I am wondering if I should just stick with HOP, since I have all 5 levels (the old school kit with cassette tapes!)

I was also looking at All About Spelling and All About Reading. But then I was wondering if doing both was overkill. Any insight?

Heather

We have both AAR and AAS. I would recommend doing AAS one or two levels behind AAR. Otherwise you'll find that AAS is introducing some phonetic concepts before AAR, and I think it works better to have them de-code using the phonetic rules before they have to produce words from scratch while applying the rules. Doing AAS a little behind also provides a beautiful review.

I agree with everyone above. If you do both, I would wait til AAS til after AAR 1. They aren't overkill, imo, as they focus on different things. I am doing AAS with my older DD and AAR with my younger. When the younger finishes AAR 1, then I will start AAS 1 and AAR 2 (that's the plan anyway).