Menu

DORA Test results for my 8 yr old DD

mamamin

My daughter just started homeschooling in January. I decided to try the DORA test to see where she is at. I went into the test knowing that her spelling was below level. (we are halfway through AAS level 2)

Some of her scores seem wacky so I was looking for some help/advice

For the high frequency word recognition she only scored 1.5

yet word recognition is at 12.83? that seems weird...perhaps she was just too slow?

Phonics was 4.83

Phonemic awareness 100%

spelling 1.83

oral vocabulary 6.83

comprehension 7.5

should I even be posting on the board? My DD loves to read but frequently chooses books below what I think should be her reading level (junie b jones, etc.) yet she loves the content and her interest level isn't always in line with her reading level I suppose. Any suggestions for me? Should I challenge her more, let her be?? this is our first year of homeschooling so I am still finding my footing.

Thanks for any advice

Should I even be posting on the board? My DD loves to read but frequently chooses books below what I think should be her reading level (junie b jones, etc.) yet she loves the content and her interest level isn't always in line with her reading level I suppose. Any suggestions for me? Should I challenge her more, let her be?? this is our first year of homeschooling so I am still finding my footing.

Thanks for any advice

I had my 7 y/o take the DORA recently and it took a while to wrap my head around the numbers. I'd take both word recognition scores with a grain of salt; speed plays a role in the high frequency words. Basically I think that the test has confirmed your suspicions: she's reading at a much higher level than her age-based grade, and is spelling at a bit lower than her age-based grade.

I try to challenge my daughter with her reading. She has "assigned reading" time daily (20-30 min at this age), where she has to read a book that from a list of assigned reading books. Some of these she picks herself, pending approval from dh or me. She gets a sticker for each title completed, and the chance to choose a book of her own when she's done a whole list of 10. Dh and I select titles that will challenge without frustrating.

Outside of assigned reading time, she gets to read anything she wants.

We also read aloud together, and sometimes I choose rather complex books for this so that we can learn together how to tackle challenging texts.