Menu

Assigning Grades for TOG subjects

R level work in TOG is primarily reading, working through various accountability and thinking questions, discussing, and writing various essays. I don't give many quizzes or tests. For our first high school year this last year, I struggled with how to assign grades to dd. I ended up weighting her grade based on about 1/3 discussion preparation (did she do her reading and fill in her accountability and thinking questions thoroughly), 1/3 discussion (was she able to discuss and analyze/synthesize the information with me), and 1/3 papers. But these things are so subjective that I struggle with making them meaningful. Did she do everything I asked? Yes. Did she demonstrate the ability to take in a lot of information from various sources and then weave it together? Yes. Did we have incredible, insightful discussions? Yes. Were her papers reflective of her deeper thinking? Yes. I do believe she earned a solid A -- but I have no way of really quantifying any of this. I could make a rubric with these things, but why? She does everything either to my satisfaction or redoes it until it is to my satisfaction. To avoid giving myself headaches over this again next year, I am trying to lay out course requirements in advance so she AND I know how she will earn a grade. Sounds good, but I'm really having a tough time with this. What have any of you done for these types of discussion-based courses? TIA. (Sorry that this is one long text blob, but my keyboard is on the fritz and I can't use the Enter key!)

Personally, I think what you did last year was perfect. This is the level she will be asked to perform at in college in history and literature classes for example. AND yes it will all be subjective. It is the nature of the beast when you get to humanities at this level.

However, if you want a bit more firmness, consider getting the evaluations for R level. They have pretty tough hour long quizzes for every week. BUT I think doing what you did last year and adding just the unit tests would be the road I would take (heck, it is the road I take). The end of unit tests will let you check retention, give her a chance to learn to study for a history or lit test, and give you a bit more firmness if you want that.

I've been seriously mulling this over for several weeks. I've some up with these things as starting points -- subject to change throughout the year as I gain insight and, hopefully, wisdom. HISTORY: 25% pre-discussion written work; 25% discussion; 50% quizzes/tests. I won't give the history unit exams this year but plan to work them in for 11th and 12th grades. LITERATURE: 15% discussion; 50% papers; 35% unit exams. GOVERNMENT: 50% preparation and analysis; 50% discussion. PHILOSOPHY: same as government. So, anyone have any comments, words of wisdom, or helpful suggestions? (This is why I am grateful to have more than one guinea pig ... er ... student. After all the time I spend working these things out for the first child, I'm glad I get to make use of the plans two more times. :hurray: )