Menu

Curriculum ideas for incoming 8th grader?

Guest 2cups

Guest 2cups

Our oldest is finishing up 7th grade in public school and we have decided that she will be homeschooled next year (or whenever we decide to start, whichever comes first). I feel like we're jumping in with both feet first without a good grasp yet on how to do this.

I'm in search of free or very low-cost curriculum ideas. I've found some good resources (or at least they look good) online including Khan Academy, Reading Like a Historian, Geographia, Hippocampus, and Crash Course, but I don't know how to go about putting it altogether to provide a complete curriculum for my daughter. Our state also has a free virtual charter school where she can take some middle school classes online. The only subject that she has been formally accelerated in is math and would be in Algebra I next school year, though she likely could be even farther ahead than that, given the right learning environment.

Our daughter has been reading at a high school level and beyond since kindergarten. However, oral and written expression, processing speed and some other executive function skills have made public school an ill-fit for her. Our daughter falls in the GT realm, but does have some learning differences that has made public school more challenging and anxiety-provoking than learning should be. We're all finally on the same page re: homeschooling so this is why we're going to give it a go. We are taking it one year at a time as she does want the option to go to high school if she feels that she needs something else after next year so we can't be too loosey-goosey with our homeschooling curriculum.

I work very part-time so I have the time to put something together for her. I just need a lot of help figuring out how to do it!

Thanks so much.

Since she may be going back to public school...I'd start by taking a look at what the scope & sequence for your high school is, and where she'd like to be by 12th grade, and then working back from that point.

For example, in VA, 9th grade they do Modern World History & Geography, English (literature, composition, grammar/vocab), Math (whatever level), Science (could be Earth or Biology), and 2 electives (one course may actually be PE/Health). There are 5 different diplomas Regular, Regular Technical, Advanced, Advanced Technical and Governor's School. 22, 26 and roughly 32 credit hours for the general areas.

I've never used any of the things you've listed as a "stand alone" course...so I'm not certain how to advise you with those, either. I've been doing this for awhile, and I always get nervous planning my own courses (mainly because I can't figure out how much is enough...:p)

I'd probably start with a standard curriculum text and build from that. You can find excellent prices on many books at abebooks.com (finding solution manuals, Teacher's editions, etc.). Your school system may also have the texts used available on-line (not that you need to use those...).

Math: Jacob's, Lial's and Foerster's are all solid Algebra programs (Jacob's and Foerster's both have DVD lectures that can be purchased). Kinetic Books also has a solid program (no text, on-line).

English -- we use Abeka for grammar, vocab and a literature overview (it gets done), they do more reading than just that, though. You could use Elements of Literature from Holt/Rinehardt, and pair it with a different grammar/vocab.

Science -- Not sure what she had last year, but I'd say a good Physical Science (something that generally covers Earth/Space,Weather, Chemistry and Physics) would be good, or if she did something like that last year, you could do a life science. I'm really only familiar with Christian publishers for science (or college textbooks...sorry!)

History -- We're doing Renaissance to the 1800's, using K12's Human Odyssey, selected Teaching Company lectures, map work, and my son will be writing chapter summaries, and lots of 5 paragraph essays (about 1 each week).

Elective -- We're doing Latin...year 2 (elective)

Elective -- He's taking Keyboarding

He's also taking a public speaking course with Coursera over the summer, and we always do art/music/PE/Health...but not as official courses.

Welcome! I've linked a thread below for you where board members have been sharing their 8th grade plans. It might be a lot to read, but it would give you a survey of more curriculum at which to look, and give you an idea of how others handle workload & how to piece things together. Then if you come back with specific questions about certain curricula, maybe you'll get more help. Also, in case you haven't seen them yet, there is also a sub-forum for accelerated kids and another for those with learning challenges, which you might also find useful. The posters in them are very helpful!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/448902-8th-grade-plans/page__hl__%2B8th+%2Bgrade

I would focus on securing the most important things first, and add onto that as you have time and money. I plan in this order: Math, English (lit, writing, grammar), History & Science, Others.

Math: Take a look at the resources you have found and try to decide if they look like a good fit for your daughter's learning style. If not, the best money spent will be for a math program that works out, IMHO. This is especially so if she is a hands-on, spatial, visual learner.

English: Lots of free and inexpensive resources. I pay for an inexpensive writing program for my reluctant writers, use reading lists, free e-books, library, and a free on-line grammar program (that takes a lot of my time.)

History: use what you have available unless you find something you love.

Science: I'd recommend a course that has labs/experiments. This will require some of your budget for materials/equipment on top of the chosen course/curricula. Some are more inexpensive than others.

When you get these 4 down, you'll likely feel a lot more confident about your plan. If you have time and energy to add languages and electives, go ahead.

I would focus on securing the most important things first, and add onto that as you have time and money. I plan in this order: Math, English (lit, writing, grammar), History & Science, Others.

Math: Take a look at the resources you have found and try to decide if they look like a good fit for your daughter's learning style. If not, the best money spent will be for a math program that works out, IMHO. This is especially so if she is a hands-on, spatial, visual learner.

English: Lots of free and inexpensive resources. I pay for an inexpensive writing program for my reluctant writers, use reading lists, free e-books, library, and a free on-line grammar program (that takes a lot of my time.)

History: use what you have available unless you find something you love.

Science: I'd recommend a course that has labs/experiments. This will require some of your budget for materials/equipment on top of the chosen course/curricula. Some are more inexpensive than others.

When you get these 4 down, you'll likely feel a lot more confident about your plan. If you have time and energy to add languages and electives, go ahead.

I agree. This is great advice. Remember, you don't have to have something for every subject in place on Day 1. Start with the 3Rs, for example, and gradually add things in as you figure out what works for your style and your DD's. That will save you money in the long run too (don't ask me how I know, LOL). And use your library for history, science, art, while you get your feet wet.