Menu

Parsing at the end of FLL 2---???

ByGrace3

Ok, maybe I away off, but the couple of exercises at the end seem completely out of place. They have learned definitions, but haven't even spent time picking subjects and verbs yet and they are supposed to parse an entire paragraph? I am a little confused. I understand it is supposed to be a teaching opportunity and assuming it is not an evaluation exercise...but it seems a little out of place. Am I missing something? My dd can't consistently do subjects/verbs...she can identify nouns/verbs but I am beginning to feel she has not retained much from FLL 1 and 2 and beginning to question our plan of FLL 3.

You should be fine to move on to FLL3. It starts again at the beginning, and at least in the first half, it doesn't have an exercise like that. We only did half of FLL2 before moving on to 3, and we had no problems with 3. Also, the writing in 3 helps a bit.

If you want to get her really good at finding subject and verb, do a bit of KISS level 1. That really cemented things for my son (though as a 3rd grader, he will still sometimes tell me that an adjective in a sentence is the verb, and I just give him a funny look and he changes to the proper word - I think that's normal for the age, even if they understand the grammar well).

That's normal IMO. Move onto 3. Really really. In 3 she'll be guided to find the subjects in two word sentences. It seems too easy in places, but it did adequately prepare mine for finding the skeletons of larger, more complex sentences.

I think she would do fine moving to 3, my question more is FLL 3 going to be better than FLL 2, especially in retention? I am assuming so since it is more interactive in nature with the workbook. Am I wrong in thinking those exercises are a little out of place or really should a child who has finished FLL 2 be able to complete them easily?

:hurray:

See, FLL keeps surprising me like that. We're partway through 2 and I've said repeatedly on here that I hated FLL1 for the first 20 lessons... and then, suddenly, saw exactly what was going on, and we have loved it ever since.

We used FLL 1,2,3. I thought retention was its strong point. My DS loved FLL1, tolerated FLL2, but unfortunately by the middle of FLL3 grammar had become a subject that was literally greeted by a meltdown daily. I fought hard for FLL because my DS was learning and remembering his grammar. I gave the old "not every subject can be fun" speech. But he didn't just think it wasn't fun - he HATED it. I managed to get him to finish FLL 3 but we had to move on to something else for 4th grade. We tried Growing with Grammar - he loved it; whizzed through his lesson daily, got every answer correct. Only problem was he couldn't remember what he had studied from one day to the next. The day I said "OK lets do a quick review - tell me the definition of an adjective" and he looked at me like I was speaking Latin I realized he was not only failing to retain new info, he was actually forgetting things he'd known since first grade! :eek: Then I stumbled upon MCT language arts. I underestimated the fact that it was made for gifted kids and got the Town Level - we should have started with Island Level - so we just took it slow this year. Even though I bought the full set - grammer, writing, poetics, and vocab. - we just worked our way slowly through grammer and about 1/2 of the vocab book. Something magical happened. Even though it was WAY challenging for him, he seemed almost entranced by it - like it was a storybook. Even on the days when the sentence work was obviously very difficult for him, he was completely engaged. As we close out 5th grade I can honestly say that he knows a lot more about grammer than I remember knowing even in Junior High. We are going to do the Town Level again next year at the correct pace, finish the vocab and add in the poetics and writing. And he's excited about it. Can't beat that :hurray:

Just to throw another option out there...

We did a level of Shurley English - mainly due to my curiosity - in between FLL 2 and FLL 3, but the time and effort was well spent imho, giving us a different yet complementary view of grammar. So, taking a break to try Shurley may be another option. Shurley (minus the writing) has chants and jingles that were fun and guided us both into parsing and such. I love FLL, and we didn't continue with Shurley, but Shurley led us to finding MCT. Although I, personally, wouldn't use it (MCT) as a stand alone program, it is quite complementary to FLL. We've completed FLL 1-4, and now we're going to move on to R&S 6, all the while continuing to supplement with MCT - but I'm ever so glad that we experienced Shurley first.

Just to throw another option out there...

We did a level of Shurley English - mainly due to my curiosity - in between FLL 2 and FLL 3, but the time and effort was well spent imho, giving us a different yet complementary view of grammar. So, taking a break to try Shurley may be another option. Shurley (minus the writing) has chants and jingles that were fun and guided us both into parsing and such. I love FLL, and we didn't continue with Shurley, but Shurley led us to finding MCT. Although I, personally, wouldn't use it (MCT) as a stand alone program, it is quite complementary to FLL. We've completed FLL 1-4, and now we're going to move on to R&S 6, all the while continuing to supplement with MCT - but I'm ever so glad that we experienced Shurley first.

I have looked at Shurley quite a bit... Do you think there would be any benefit to just using the jingles? My kids love that kind of thing...