Menu

GA Homeschooling Laws Changing for 2013-2014

Well, I will admit I am shocked by the changes I read on www.ghea.org on their homepage. It seems they are giving us more freedom, the ability to create our own certifying transcripts and documents without having to get state attendance verification. Next school year we only have to provide the electronic declaration of intent.

We still have to maintain the annual progress report and standardized testing every three years.

Yes! I saw that! I am excited since next year will be our first "real" year homeschooling, and I was concerned about remembering to submit attendance. My personal opinion is that budget cuts are the reason for the reduction in required record submission. I'm sure keeping up with all the homeschooling records was a fulltime job or two that was cut. The cuts in education funding is ridiculous! For once, it seems to actually have benefited someone. My DH teaches HS, so normally cuts in education have a negative effect in our household. :(

Yes! I saw that! I am excited since next year will be our first "real" year homeschooling, and I was concerned about remembering to submit attendance. My personal opinion is that budget cuts are the reason for the reduction in required record submission. I'm sure keeping up with all the homeschooling records was a fulltime job or two that was cut. The cuts in education funding is ridiculous! For once, it seems to actually have benefited someone. My DH teaches HS, so normally cuts in education have a negative effect in our household. :(

That's probably part of it. I think the biggest issue, though, is that the state will be spending a lot of money on the charter schools law that passed (and there seems to be a lot of conflict of interest involved as well). The homeschooling changes were a part of that whole package.