Menu

VRBO questions

Danestress

So I am planning a trip to Antigua for our 20th anniversary - with the kids.

I found a place I want to stay. The owners have three small apartments there and live on sight. According to all the reviews I could find on line, they are very helpful wonderful people. The reviews of the accommodations were mostly great. There are a LOT of reviews online, and only a couple negative, so I feel fine about this and about the couple that runs it.

They do not take credit cards, having only a couple of rentals, and don't do paypal. I can pay the deposit with a cashier's check or a wire transfer. I figure by the time we go (the week after Christmas) the method of payment won't really matter because they will have the money, so whatever risk of getting ripped off is involved, it's the same risk whether I pay now or later, by check or wire transfer.

So am I crazy just to pay the full amount by wire transfer now? It costs about $40 per wire transfer, so I sort of hate to pay half now and half by 6 weeks before travel, cause that's 40 extra bucks. Also, I would sort of like just to pay up so that the money is no longer in my bank account, making us feel more flush with cash then we actually are:)

I will buy the VRBO fraud insurance, for about 40 bucks, so that is really my best fraud protection, right? My instincts are that this is going to be fine, but I don't want to be impulsive. Any comments?