Menu

Options for physical geography besides Runkles...

My soon-to-be 8th grader (next year) wants to study earth science. I would like for this course to end up being a physical geography class so that he can study earth science plus geography. I know of Runkles curriculum, but I'm trying to find others. An on-line option would be fine. (I know that K12 has earth science, and ds likes this, yet we're having trouble with our computer when we try to watch the videos...not sure why. Going with just K12, I would have to add in geography too. I would like to have both all in one.)

Please tell me what you would use for an engaging physical geography class.... any and all courses and supplementary material either online or text form. (And.... his brother who will be in 5th grade will study the same subject. Resources for this age as well would be great.)

I would like for the 8th grader to be able to work some independently if that makes a difference.

Oh almost forgot... I have The Teaching Company's Nature of Earth: An Introduction to Geology by John Renton that I'm likely to incorporate. I find this interesting, but ds may grow weary of it. If we use this, I would like something more "junior high-ish" to balance it out.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1700