Menu

How to find a Skype language exchange partner

Aspasia

We're not quite ready for this yet, but I want to be prepared when we are. Is there anything that helps people hook up with Skype language exchange partners? I'm dreaming of a website where I could enter my dd's age and the language she's learning (Italian), and then be hooked up with a child similar in age who is a native Italian speaker wanting to practice English. We would set up a "meeting" schedule with that child/family. The kids would chat in Italian for 30 minutes and then English for 30 minutes. Something like that. Does this dream exist?

http://www.language-exchanges.org seems roughly to do what you're looking for. Haven't tried it myself.

Skype Community has a forum where people have posted similar requests. Search for "language exchange".

The premise is great for adults and highly motivated youngsters. But it takes quite a bit of discipline. Otherwise, it can be really challenging to get kids "out of their comfort zone". Personally, I've had better luck with my kids with people who speak no English. Even if the other party speaks just tiny bit of English, my kids will tend to speak only English.