Menu

Wee Girl: first written story ever

Violet Crown

Wee Girl was supposed to write a sentence about a make-believe thing, and instead spent the day writing a whole story - her first composition ever. (Her writing deteriorated as it went along; she began slowly and carefully, but she descended into a writing frenzy as the story continued. I notice the influence of dh's readaloud of Alice in Wonderland, and some Britishisms that must come from her Enid Blyton addiction. Also she has apparently inherited her parents' partiality toward parentheticals.)

------------------------

The plant that grew to the moom. Once there was a plant that was very tiny, and was in a pot, in a shop.

The shop keeper was just taking it out wean someone burst in cring I want it! I want it!, so the shopkeeper had to give it to him,

But the shopkeeper didnot now it would grow to the moon. so he went with his head up and smiling. when he got home he went amedely [immediately] and plantid it. The nexst day, the plant had got much biger, infakt it was twice its szie now. this went on for days and days intil it reached the moon. one day, it grew sideways, and bumped into the moon. and the man was waching all this. then the man climed up the plant, (for it was vrey strong.) wean the man got to the moon, he climed on to it and lookd down, now, just then the shopkeeper came roud the cornr to ceak [check] on the plant, wean he saw the plant he did not rcanis [recognize] it (for it was very tall) now the shop keeper saw the pot so the shop keeper wadrd [wandered] abuot so he came to the big plant and climbed upit (for it was still strong) now wean he reached the top the frist thing he saw was the preason [person] wean the prason saw the shop keeper he treid to run away but he fell of the moon insted. now whean the man fell of the moon he realiszed that he cluod wlak so he wlaked alot, and he fell, now (you now he fell on the ground) whean he got to the ground he was on his head he fellt a holl opuning up he fell in, the baker wantid to go to so fell in to in the holle They fell down and down and down they saw breads and caekcs and plants

when thay got to the bothem they saw a lader that lead to the shlvs so they cimbed up it but wean they wrae [were] down and had stardid ething [eating] the food sliped ot of the mans mouth

morl: dont be bad if you want good things.

----------

When she finished, she read it to me and then said, "I am very tired of writing 'shopkeeper.'"