Menu

New Latin Resource!!

This really looks pretty good to me!

I just received the Emmanuel Books catalog today in the mail; on p. 106, under "Languages" (specifically, Latin resources), directly under the photo of Latin Henle I, is Pronuntiatus Latinus. Now, I know that Latin pronunciation is fairly straightforward, but there have always been little things that have been unclear to me. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm putting the stress on the ultimate or penultimate syllable; sometimes I waffle between ecclesiastical and classical pronunciation.

Here's a description of this resource:

"Finally--a comprehensive treatment of Latin pronunciation on one CD! A great companion for Fr. Henle Latin! This book and CD give all the rules of pronunciation for both Ecclesiastical and Classical Latin, with spoken examples of individual sounds as well as complete words. These words illustrate principles that can be applied to all Latin words, making it useful for any Latin course. Also contains complete rules for accent placement, syllabification and syllable quantity (again with examples). The Companion Booklet has all the rules written down for visual reference. Written exercises in the back can be used to test understanding of the principles presented. In addition, the CD and booklet contain tips to help with the most common problems of pronunciation, such as how to render diphthongs or roll the R's."

$18.00. Not bad!

Is there anyone else besides me who has had trouble pronouncing the passive indicative imperfect tense of capio? The word for the second person plural ("you" pl.) is capiebamini. This would help eliminate my confusion over where to stress the syllables, although the macrons in Henle help.

At any rate, I thought this resource might be useful for those of you who plan to ford the deeper waters of h.s. Latin and beyond! :)

I'd post a link, but my Internet Explorer isn't working properly and shuts down half the time in the middle of the process. Do a search under Emmanual Books and you'll probably find the catalog online.

HTH!

There's a free resource for the Classical pronunciation of Latin at the Wheelock's Latin site:

http://www.wheelockslatin.com/

Click on Wheelock's Latin Audio Files

Here's the link to the section on Accentuation:

http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction_accent.html

capiEbA'mini (the upper case letters are long and would have macrons, the A has the accent and it is an antepenult -- a 3 syllable word, but the penultimate is short, so the accent falls on the antepenult)

This is so helpful. I ordered this based on LisaNY recommendations. I freaked out when I heard the pronunciation on Lingua Latina's audio and posted about pronunciation help. I started the kids on Prima Latina and Minimus (I didn't have the cd so I just used ecc. pronunciation) and when I got a hold of the audio for Lingua, the difference in the two was "shocking". I worried that I'm steering my kids in the wrong Latin pronunciation direction. Lisa NY suggested this and I promptly bought. Very, very helpful.

Digressing here, but want to take the opportunity to thank you for posting on http://www.writingassessment.com. Took the plunge and enrolled ds in the progymnasmata class (beginning). I hope ds will rise up to the challenge and not freak out.

Thanks so much.

Lyn

There's a free resource for the Classical pronunciation of Latin at the Wheelock's Latin site:

http://www.wheelockslatin.com/

Click on Wheelock's Latin Audio Files

Here's the link to the section on Accentuation:

http://www.wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction_accent.html

capiEbA'mini (the upper case letters are long and would have macrons, the A has the accent and it is an antepenult -- a 3 syllable word, but the penultimate is short, so the accent falls on the antepenult)

I didn't know that there were free resources online! Great to know this info. Somehow I managed to pronounce capiEbA'mini right, but it just sounded so odd that I wasn't sure. I feel like I need a better handle with the rules. Thank you for explaining this!

Teacalm, I think you'll really like Cindy Marsch. I've found her to be invaluable for both me and the kids. She helped me prepare for my GRE in March. Her understanding of correct grammar is impeccable; she's able to lead kids to think logically about what they are writing; plus, she's very kind and humorous to boot!

Best wishes to you on the class!