Menu

The SM CWP

mamamindy

are definitely challenging!

When do you all suggest using them? We are in 1B, and just started the first CWP book. She is doing okay. It is not what I consider independent work. (She uses the IP independently 1 semester behind, and I use it to gauge what she's learned, what we need to work on, etc.)

It depends on why you are using them. Some people use the IP and CWP as their only math work because that is what their student needs. Other people use them on grade as a, well, challenge. Still other people use them a half a year or full year behind so their student can have a review of skills and focus on problem solving strategies.

In general, I don't consider elementary math to be independent, so I can't speak to that.

Thanks for your reply!

In general, I don't consider elementary math to be independent, so I can't speak to that.

Well, I generally don't either. I let my daughter work on the WB independently (she prefers this) and the IP now that we've started using it. So, she grabbed the CWP -- and was lost! (For the most part.) Darnit, I don't know why she doesn't like me doing the teaching. She gets very frustrated if she can't figure it out on her own. :glare:

ETA: I guess I'd been told that most people use them as independent work, so that is why I said that in my OP.... You are right, though. NOT independent work for us, anyway. ;)

CWP is not independent here, but I'm only using it a little bit behind (like a few units, not even a semester at this point). I'm not using it with my kid doing 1B yet, but I'll add it next year when he's in 2. My oldest in 5B uses CWP5, and we work at the white board, both doing the problems at the same time, racing each other. :D Much more fun that way!