Menu

Anyone have a barking collar for their dog...if so what kind do you have?

Well, I don't know of a specific kind. In previous times, I would have been upset about a barking collar.... but alas, we seem to grow in wisdom over the years, sometimes <g>.

Anyway, I'm sure they are similar in function. Check out reviews on the ones you're looking at.

Here are the things I would consider important when considering this route.

1. The mom to my pup had a bark collar. It malfunctioned and burned a big "whole" in her neck. SO... you must check the collar for functionality every day. It is not just a collar.

2. This will work fine if your dog is simply barking at "anything" but "nothing" in particular. What I mean by that is... if you are taking the dog out, or someone is coming to the door the alleged problem is that the dog associates she shock of the bark collar to the arrival of people or items and now they become fearful of.

Thus, I think bark collars are perfect for when you have the dog outside for an extended period of time and you need them to be quiet for neighbor's sake. When you bring them inside, or take them on a walk your duty is to train the dog not to bark at people or "things" like bikes or skateboards. I say duty, not because I think it is necessarily your job, but because you don't want the dog to associate people and everyday things with correction of a shock if they bark. Your dog will become shy and fearful. Our neighbors had a dog on a bark collar, and it DID keep the dog quiet. However, the dog was also afraid of me or my children when I came near and it was most likely because of this association.

Good luck finding a good fit. Constant barking dogs can be really agitating.

I had one for our barker.

She was an obsessive barker and very territorial. She never barks inside or when on walks. But she used to bark at leaves, squirrels, falling acorns, yard guys, neighbor kids, birds, invisible burglars....you get the idea.

We honestly considered clipping her vocal cords....she was that bad.:ohmy:

The first one we used was a fido-shock type, that shocked her when she started barking. She'd bark, yelp. Bark yelp. She never really put two and two together.

She barked so much that she ran down the batteries and the skin necrotized where the shock points touched her neck.

We later moved on to the type that was a remote controlled shock collar. That worked a little more effectively. We only reprimanded her when she would start a chain of barking instead of a little warning bark.

She's much better now. But I don't know if that is because she learned not to bark so much, she grew out of it, or becasue she can't hear as well anymore.

We tried a bark collar for an obsessive barker and it didn't work out the way I would have liked.

We have invisible fencing and that works great so I am not opposed to shock collars. The fencing collar makes a sound before the shock so that the dog can respond to the sound without shock.

So if there is a bark collar that uses sound and shock that might be better.

BTW, the sound is not loud.

We have a citronella collar to discourage barking. It sprays a whiff of citronella when the dog barks. We don't have her wear it regularly because she would be miserable but rarely have to actually use the thing. The first spray was very effective. If she is barking excessively, we just pick it up. :001_smile:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/96/6.6.96/barking.html

Take a coke can put 3 or 4 pennies in it and tape the top.

When the dog barks, Say "no" and shake the can near her.

My daughter read this somewhere (maybe dog whisperer).

It worked well with our poodle. From time to time we have to break out "the can" and remind her, but pretty much she will stop when we say "no" and she lets the little things go.

PS: I wasn't against the collars- just wanted to try cheap and easy first. LOL:tongue_smilie:

Take a coke can put 3 or 4 pennies in it and tape the top.

When the dog barks, Say "no" and shake the can near her.

My daughter read this somewhere (maybe dog whisperer).

It worked well with our poodle. From time to time we have to break out "the can" and remind her, but pretty much she will stop when we say "no" and she lets the little things go.

PS: I wasn't against the collars- just wanted to try cheap and easy first. LOL:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I have a friend who used this method and it worked effectively.

Also what we did with our barker was just get a few spray bottles (like the kinds in the sample section at Wal Mart - they are about 50 cents apiece) and filled them with water.

Distribute them around the house so you have access to one each and every time he barks.

Every time he barked, I'd spray water at him right in the face a couple of times. Soon he would just see me pick up the spray bottle and he'd hush right up.

Now he doesn't even bother with barking at small little things and when he just "has to" bark, he'll just give one little bark and then look around for the water spray and will usually just hush right up. So he's not totally cured, but definitely a MAJOR improvement.

The whole process took about a week or two and he is VERY stubborn and dare I say, spoiled. :001_smile:

The can with the pennies didn't work for my manic barker. We've been using the spray bottle and it works really well as long as I have the bottle in my hand. He barks less overall, but it's taken a several months to even make a little progress.

I used a bark collar on my previous dog and it just made her extremely fearful. It was pitiful. She would slink around with her tail between her legs looking terrified whenever we put it on her. I don't think she every connected the barking to the shock and never knew when to expect it. We thought maybe the collar was shocking her at random times to cause her such terror.

Kris

We tried spray bottles, but my four daughters 14,15,16 & 21 would use them on each other.:lol: One would say something and another would pick up a bottle and say "no!". They even started hiding around the corner to ambush each other. It was pretty funny. Such is life with teens!