Menu

Ant activity needed

We are using Apologia Zoo 1 for our weekly co-op. We will be doing the first part of lesson 11 on ants. I need some activity ideas to go along with the lesson please. We can't do the ant farm or finding which food ants are attracted to activities. This week we will be limited on space and indoors. Any activity ideas or games welcome.

ETA: we are working with 3-5th graders

Our totally awesome nature center profiled ants several years ago in their Naturalist's Lunchbox. (Families pack a sack lunch and eat it under the trees while the naturalist does a program).

The Naturalist had several children as volunteers to do the different jobs as ants. She had a prop for each child. She also had laminated drawings of what each type of ant would look for.

Examples:

type -- prop -- laminated drawing

1 Queen -- tiara -- eggs

2 Nurse ants -- nurse hats or red cross armbands -- babies (larvae)

2 Guard ants -- military gear -- enemy ants or other predators

2 worker ants -- ?little basket for collecting food? -- food

Who else am I missing? Are there digger/tunneling ants?

The Naturalist dressed up each child and explained what their job was. Then, one type at a time, she sent them over to a general area in the grass to collect the items (drawings) that pertained to their type of ant.

Playing "dress-up" may seem a little young for the age you are teaching, but I'll bet they remember this lesson!

Also, instead of using "drawings" you could use our real life items from around your house to teach the lesson. Use baby dolls instead of a picture of larvae. Use a carton of (boiled) eggs instead of a picture of ant eggs. Use play food from your 5yo's play kitchen instead of a line drawing of picnic food.

-------------------------------

For one of the art projects, the teacher had red and white checked paper (printer stationary?) like the standard red-checked picnic tablecloth. The kids used inkpads and their fingers to make ants. Markers are used to add legs and antenna. This art project is a little juvenile for your age, but I just put it out there for your use.