Menu

HOD (Bigger Hearts...) Please explain this to me.

ChristusG

I'm considering using HOD for this coming year. I have a 6 year old (rising 1st grader) and a 9 year old (rising 4th grader). Can I use this for both of them, do you think?

Also....I'm confused about what I need. I will be using it for science and history, definitely. So I assume I need all the history and science books in the economy pack, right? Do I need anything else? I won't be using it for math....and I'm not completely sure about grammar yet. We have FLL and really like it, so I'm undecided there.

Lastly....wouldn't it be cheaper to try to find the books myself? I found several of them used on Amazon for cheaper. And I found several kindle versions for either free or very cheap. Seems like this would be the better route to go than purchasing the package deal.

If you want to use it for science and history you'll need the economy pack plus science. If you are going to use DITHOR, you'll need to add the package you choose on to it. If you want the music CD that goes along with the Bible then you'll need to add that in separately.

When I am buying a new guide and resources, I make myself a spreadsheet and compare the costs. I list the all the items and compare with HOD, Rainbow Resource, Amazon and used. I generally only buy the most expensive books used because the paperbacks usually don't result in a savings that I think is worth it. Be sure to compare the whole package costs at HOD because they do give a discount compared to purchasing individual items. I usually come out better piecing the guide resources together from different sources just because I already own some of the books. You may have trouble using the Kindle versions that are free because the books in the guides are listed by page number and it's very difficult to match up sometimes. Whole chapters are sometimes split over several days. I'm sure you could figure it out but it won't be as easy as picking up a book and turning to the page the guide says.

I wouldn't use Bigger for both a fourth grader and a first grader but that's just me. I've separated all my kids and am enjoying using the books at their level.