Menu

Derek or others-how are the quality and quantity of word problems in TabletClass?

And any other comments you'd like to make about areas where TC is weak or strong? Thanks!

TC offers good quality word problems I think. I base this on our use of Pre-Algbera class currently. I find them adequately challenging especially for this level of study. I am not sure about Algebra 1 since we are not there yet. However I would imagine them to be similar, yet more difficult at this next level. Overall think there is a nice mixture of problem types.

I guess the only weakness I could see potentially is the need for extra problems at times. Though I don't see this as a major issue. There were several times when we pulled from AoPS and Khan for extra problems. This is where I think it is relatively easy to supplement and gain another perspective on the more challenging topics such as linear equations for example. However I would most likely do this with *any* program as I like to present things from a variety of angles, especially if it seems a bit tricky to grasp initially. That is why I have other resources which are so easy to pick up on the used market (e.g. Foerster, Dolciani, etc...).

Thanks, Derek, for responding! I agree that it's easy to add in extra problems where needed. (I also own Foerster's, Lial's, etc.-we're fellow math curriculum junkies-lol) I have always done that, and continue to do it w/ younger ds. But overall it's a new goal of mine to try to simplify as much as possible, so I'm trying to find the program that I can pretty much use as-is and not feel like I *have* to add in, especially for older dd since her workload is pretty heavy already.

I really appreciate how willing you are to answer all of our TC questions! It really helps to hear from someone who is actually using it, since it's so new and not a lot of info out there. Thanks again.

No problem, glad to help. For us the supplementing hasn't been needed all that much and its been super easy on my part. I just pick out something the night before and assign it to him. ds11 does it independently the next day and occasionally will ask follow-up questions if he has any. The most work I've done is simply mapping up to another source. That's why for Algebra 1 I've created this S&S matrix.