Menu

Core Knowledge Charter School

Most of the charter schools in my area use core knowledge. Core knowledge is a good program, and it's classic-based. My son is at such a school and is thriving. He has special needs and is included in the regular classroom, and he has learned so much in science and social studies! His main subjects are tailored to his needs, and he gets great support. My girls attended last year, but I pulled one out after a few months because she was too advanced and not learning much. My kindie only attended half day, and I ended up after schooling her because it was a brand new school, and they really didn't have their academic programs completely together yet. Plus, I found my daughter focused much better at home than in a classroom. But she had a great experience, and I'm glad she went for kindergarten. My daughter's friend attends and is very bright and is thriving. The homework load is ridiculous, though. I know a very bright 6th grader who spends 2-3 hours a night on homework!! I'm glad to have my girls back home, as I really value them having free time and flexibility in their education. I just really prefer homeschooling overall, but, on the other hand, the school is wonderful for my son.

Since the school you are looking at is new, policies and curriculum will be a work in progress. Initially, our charter said there would be limited homework, but that is not the case. (My son is not affected by this and has minimal homework.) The first year of a charter is tumultuous and uncertain. I was involved in 2 new charters last year. The other was a science-focused school, and they really did not have their act together. They changed alI of their curriculum at the last minute, which was disastrous. My middle school son who attended learned a lot, but there were so many issues with grading and curriculum it was a nightmare. I tried working with the school, but by this time last year I gave up and started making plans for homeschooling.

So my advice is to research the proposed plans carefully and know that you are taking a risk with a first year school. Know that it may be a good fit for some and a bad fit for others. Know that what they say they will be offering will change as they put it into action. Also, look at your reasons for homeschooling and what the trade-offs will be. And if you go for it don't be afraid to pull the plug if it doesn't work out. Good luck!