Menu

TOG for gifted 9 y/o?

btmartin97

Hello,

This is our 1st year homeschooling. My dd was supposed to go into 3rd grade in public school but I accelerated her to 4th after several placement tests. She is still rather bored. We are now beginning Tapestry of Grace for my oldest dd in 11th grade (due to the rich content in Literature & History). Do you all have any input/opinions about using this curriculum for GT kids?

Thanks,

Tonya

I think that it is great for GT kids. It is so easy to accelerate or pull back every week. If your dd is ready for mostly UG or D work, then plan that, but if you find a week where the LG or UG books are things that she will love, then give her those. If you have a light or heavy science week, then it is easy to adjust the load of TOG accordingly. Also, in the D and R levels, you do discussions which really help them to think and make connections between different things they have learned about.

I think that it is great for GT kids. It is so easy to accelerate or pull back every week. If your dd is ready for mostly UG or D work, then plan that, but if you find a week where the LG or UG books are things that she will love, then give her those. If you have a light or heavy science week, then it is easy to adjust the load of TOG accordingly. Also, in the D and R levels, you do discussions which really help them to think and make connections between different things they have learned about.

Thank you. That has been my thinking as well. I am excited about this curriculum for just that reason. Also, she is already making those connections, and we've just started 2 days ago! Thank you for your input. I have felt so much on my own in trying to provide for her educationally (after battling public school for her first 3 years), and it helps to have another opinion! Blessings. :)

Matilda said it very well, but I just want to add that in addition to moving between levels, there are also lots of ways to enrich your student's experience within a level. There are lots of suggested activities, some of which are really easy and others that are really involved and require a lot of creativity and imagination. You can move up writing levels without moving up reading levels, or vice versa. There are lots of alternate books that you can delve into, many of which cover completely different topics than the core reading. This last suggestion is what we do the most of. The only books that we do not read are those that are essentially the same information as the core books. Additionally, we listen to SOTW audio books, which serve to both supplement and solidify what they learn in TOG.