Menu

Science Encyclopedia-- Recommend??

Ruthie in MS

I am wanting to get a science encyclopedia for my elementary kids. I'd love it to last until 6th grade or so. I am really just wanting a good reference book for them, to use. My dd8 is the one that constantly looks things up so I need it to be easy-to-use for her. She is also a visual learner so one that's colorful and full of visuals--- but not babyish. There are several on the market and I really need another homeschool mom's suggestion.

Links for them would be awesome. Mostly so I know which version or edition you are recommending. Thanks!!

We love, love, love the Dorling Kindersley (DK) science encyclopedia! Ours is the 1994 copyright, so I am sure there is a newer version out there. We like everything about it, but my favorite part is every page has a small box in the corner that has cross-reference page numbers for related topics, so it's easy to flip back and forth quickly. My 12 year old has been using it for 6 years and he still gets a ton out of it, and my 7 year old loves it to death. He'll just sit and look through it for fun.

Edit to add: Tons of visuals. DK books are always heavy on visuals, and this is no exception. Every bit of info comes with illustrations, photos or diagrams.

This is the revised version of what we have

I think this is the newest version, but it could be a completely different book.