Menu

question about Barton and Heart of Reading

I hope it's ok to jump into this board. My daughter hasn't been officially diagnosed with a LD or anything but has had some vision issues and went through 40 weeks of vision therapy and is still struggling with reading. Dh and I have set up an appointment to have her evaluated by a neuro psych Dr. but that isn't until April.

I was looking at Barton and think it may be just the program we need. She's currently using AAS for spelling, but not much has worked with her for reading. Some of you may have read my posts about her and what to do on the K-8 and General boards. I emailed them about placement and Susan sent me the post tests for levels 1-3. I gave dd the student screening as well as the level 1 and 2 post tests and it's pretty clear we need to start at level 2, she did fine with the level 1 test, but had a lot of b-d, and ch-ck mix ups on the level 2 test.

So now that I've rambled so far, my real questions are. Have you ordered from Barton and how long does it take to ship from them?

I have seen a few sets used on ebay, but I'm leery of ordering used because of the whole "no extra tiles unless you get it from us" rule that Barton has.

Welcome to this board. :) Sure, you can come join us! I was here for a year or two before my son got an official diagnosis of dyslexia.

I use Barton and have ordered all of our Barton materials directly from them. It does seem like it sometimes takes a while to arrive, but I can't say exactly how long. It varies, but I've come to learn that I should order the next level a little while before I'm finished with the level we're working on.

Welcome to this board. :) Sure, you can come join us! I was here for a year or two before my son got an official diagnosis of dyslexia.

I use Barton and have ordered all of our Barton materials directly from them. It does seem like it sometimes takes a while to arrive, but I can't say exactly how long. It varies, but I've come to learn that I should order the next level a little while before I'm finished with the level we're working on.

Thanks. I know that on their website is says I should order the next level when they are on the last lesson of the current level, but I'm in VA and aren't they in CA, if so getting things all the way here usually takes quite a bit of time.

You might consider ordering level 2 and 3 at the same time. Levels 1 and 2 are much shorter than the other levels. Level two has only five lessons. It might take a severely dyslexic child quite some time to finish, but a child with less severe struggles might get through it rather quickly. You--as the teacher--will learn skills and techniques in level 2 that you'll continue to use with the rest of the program, and your dd will learn some very foundational skills that she might be lacking. But the second level just gives you a small taste of the program--so if you want more than just a taste, perhaps order level 3 at the same time. After that, you know better how fast your dd goes through the lessons and be able to judge when to place your order.

We just started with Barton after Thanksgiving. Levels 1 and 2 were very easy for my mildly dyslexic 8 year old and I don't think he got much out of them, but I feel they were a good foundation for how the program works. I just ordered level 3 on Jan. 3rd, and it arrived yesterday so about 8 days. I'm in rural northern NY...hope this helps!

Elena

We just started with Barton after Thanksgiving. Levels 1 and 2 were very easy for my mildly dyslexic 8 year old and I don't think he got much out of them, but I feel they were a good foundation for how the program works. I just ordered level 3 on Jan. 3rd, and it arrived yesterday so about 8 days. I'm in rural northern NY...hope this helps!

Elena

Thanks Elena, did you use the basic shipping option (cheapest) or one of the other options?

I've always bought used. I get around the tiles thing two ways, no three. :) One, I use plastic tiles and just write the letters on them. For colors we can't find, I bought some wooden scrabble like blank tiles that I'll paint and then write the letters on. The other idea I had was to photocopy the tiles in my printer/copier and then print them on heavy cardstock and maybe laminate them. In our situation, the tiles' texture or heaviness/etc. don't really make any difference, so this would work well for us.

Good luck,

Thanks Elena, did you use the basic shipping option (cheapest) or one of the other options?

Just the basic shipping option ($15 I think?) I got an email right away saying it would ship within 24 hours, but didn't get any tracking info or information after that. So excited to start tomorrow! Good luck.

Elena

I've always bought used. I get around the tiles thing two ways, no three. :) One, I use plastic tiles and just write the letters on them. For colors we can't find, I bought some wooden scrabble like blank tiles that I'll paint and then write the letters on. The other idea I had was to photocopy the tiles in my printer/copier and then print them on heavy cardstock and maybe laminate them. In our situation, the tiles' texture or heaviness/etc. don't really make any difference, so this would work well for us.

Good luck,

The scrabble like tiles may work, I thought of the laminated card stock, but that's what AAS tiles are and my dd hates them. I think she needs to texture that the thicker tiles would have.

Just the basic shipping option ($15 I think?) I got an email right away saying it would ship within 24 hours, but didn't get any tracking info or information after that. So excited to start tomorrow! Good luck.

Elena

Thanks Elena that helps me to know which option I should use.