Menu

Okay... after Explode the Code - which spelling program?

Jay3fer

I know there was a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I think it died down and now I am going out and buying ETC 8. If we burn through that at the same rate as the others, I need to have a plan in place for a couple of months down the line.

Since dd is reading nicely already, my main use for ETC has been spelling. I make up a test for her once per lesson (once or twice a week) on the lesson words she's been practicing; I always remind her of the lesson rule before we do the test. (for instance, today's rule was about "ei" and "eigh" words, so I made up six of those for the test)

I would like to transition to a spelling program, preferably one that is ETC-like in that it incorporates humour, whimsical illustrations and not too much writing. She loves the checkboxes and x'ing and all the other ways ETC has you practice without tiring your wrists. Oh, and for sure no creative writing! (Anything that asks her to write a sentence takes five times longer than it should because she wastes time thinking up the most amazing sentence in the universe and then illustrating it. ;-))

We don't need a vocabulary program - I think we'll be using Vocabulary from Classical Roots, and I won't be tying that into spelling, I think.

So, to distill... what's a good, fun, rule-based spelling program with lots of practice but minimal writing??? Does this exist?

(p.s. we tried Spelling Workout and both hated it :-()

Sequential Spelling done online through Spelling City?

We went from ETC to Sequential Spelling. It's quicker for us just to take 10 minutes 4/5 times a week and test the list of words by writing them. The words build from side to presidential. I make it fun by making up silly sentences.