Menu

Division problem

My dd 9 has done very well with learning multiplication. We used times tales and drill with flash cards. She still uses the story sometimes when she forgets.

I introduced the idea of "6x ? = 18" and other similar questions last week to prepare for division. She is really struggling!!! She just does not know the answers 80% of the time. She understands the concept and we've done hands on to show what it means, etc.

It's just a memory issue...

Am I right in thinking she needs to still build more speed and fluency with multiplication? I printed out 100 fact sheets and decided to add that to her morning chores so they'll be done on Saturdays and days off.

Any other thoughts?

I don't think she has to master multiplication before learning division. Perhaps limit the problems to a few fact families until she gets the hang of changing the problems from multiplication to division? Do you have manipulatives you could bring back out for a bit to introduce the new topic?