Menu

FLL

lifesadream83

I have been doing a lot of research lately in regards to LA programs so sorry if you are seeing yet another by me LOL.

For those of you who have used FLL have you progressed from book 1-4. We started with book 2 and we are about half way through. I am preparing my shopping carts for next years curriculum. If I were to keep going with FLL would you skip book 3 as it overlaps in content with book 2 and 4 or would you go straight to book 4.

Just a short background. DD is 8 and in 3rd grade, for whatever purposes, she will be 9 starting next year and in 4th.We school year round in LA and Math so I am not worried about there being a gap in her stopping and then starting the other book and needing review. I am more concerned if she will need more practice with diagramming and such if we just dive into 4.

We are about 3/4 through FLL4. My son started with FLL1 in K. I would not skip FLL3 either. While it is true that the content of FLL3 and FLL4 overlaps, the depth of the discussion and the complexity of the diagrams grows dramatically in FLL4, and it is comforting to know the basics already. Also, FLL offers a variety of beautiful poems for memorization, where the vocabulary and the grammatical structures gradually increase in complexity. My son might not have been able to enjoy Ozymandias in FLL4 as much as he did without having built up the stamina with the poems in FLL3.