Menu

educational psychologist or neuropsychologist?

Hi all, I am new to lurking on this board. we are having my 5yo dd evaluated next week. we suspect dyslexia. my hubby is a college professor and has tapped into his network to help get us started as we had NO idea what to do. the 2 people we have been in touch with are an educational therapist and an educational psychologist. but when i read here, i see lots of references to neuropsychologists. what is the difference? are we on the wrong track? please help!

So are you looking to confirm dyslexia or do you think that there are other things going on?

Perhaps you could ask the educational psychologist if they could help you understand their work relative to a neuropsychiatrist (who would be an MD not a Ph.D. as a psychologist, I am pretty sure). I would chose an educational psychologist over a therapist because of, likely, the range of tests that could be offered, but again, I may want to check with those people.

Here is what I would find helpful in understanding dyslexia...an IQ test, an achievement test, measurements of phonological awareness, sentence level working memory, expressive/ receptive language. HOWEVER, I would also want other possible things to be evaluated (ADHD, sensory processing, etc...) because although it may seem like dyslexia there could be other things going on....

You know, it is not unheard of to have several evaluations. Perhaps you could start where you are, get information and guidance about educational choices from whomever you choose (ed psych/ therapist). Then see where you are in a few years and if you need more information and guidance.

i hate to walk into professional offices and say "we have this". i prefer to leave it open ended and let them make the diagnosis without "planting" something in their mind. kwim? so, my 5yo is having some difficulties. my hubby, fil, and dad all have some level of dyslexia. as i've done some reading about it, i see some of the "symptoms" in her. but i don't know for sure so don't want to focus on that. i'd like her tested and have a professional tell me what may be going on.

we are starting with the ed therapist because it is the least expensive option and we figured a good place to start. she will be doing a test specific to young children (5 and 6 year olds) to identify possible difficulties and start early intervention to fix them before they become a problem. if we feel that is not comprehensive enough or is not working, we will move to the ed psych- a much more expensive, but thorough option.

she is still so young (newly 5) that we are comfortable with starting simple and moving up if necessary. BUT, we really have no idea what we're doing. :/ so if we're on the absolute wrong track, i'd like to know before we start.

i hate to walk into professional offices and say "we have this". i prefer to leave it open ended and let them make the diagnosis without "planting" something in their mind. kwim? so, my 5yo is having some difficulties. my hubby, fil, and dad all have some level of dyslexia. as i've done some reading about it, i see some of the "symptoms" in her. but i don't know for sure so don't want to focus on that. i'd like her tested and have a professional tell me what may be going on.

If this is the case, then I would go with a neurospychiatrist as you would receive the greatest information.