Menu

We used Laurel Tree tutorials for high school composition. It's not exactly what you are looking for because it is asynchronous and starts in the fall. I learned about Laurel Tree from this thread:

A Recommendation for on-line English Classes: Laurel Tree Tutorials

I have posted my review before, but can't find it with the search engine on this new forum. :confused1: I'll post it here. I would be happy to share a sample of an essay and feedback. Just PM me with your email address. Not sure if we can send emails on this new forum. It was broke on the old forum.

We used Laurel Tree Tutorials with Rebekah Randolph for 10th grade composition. The website is www.laureltreetutorials.com. The cost was $580 which we paid in 2 payments a few months apart. There were a dozen students in the class.

Over the course of the year, the students write (with how long ds's paper was for comparison below):

• Personal Essay (3-6 pages) – 1250 words
  • Persuasive Essay (3-6 pages) – 1184 words
  • Definition Essay (2-5 pages) ex. Describe teamwork – 736 words
  • Short Story (6-12 pages) – 2314 words
  • Research Paper (8-12 pages) – 2780 words
  • Character Sketch (2-5 pages) – 704 words

Pros:

• Syllabus provided at the beginning of the year provides clear assignments and deadlines for the entire year. This syllabus is available beforehand upon request.
  • Weekly assignments are given via email Wednesday morning and are to be completed by the following Tuesday midnight.
  • Longer essays are walked through starting with thesis and brainstorming/outline. Teacher feedback is provided before the rough draft starts.
  • Students post rough drafts and final essays to website for all classmates to read.
  • Students provide 3 peer reviews of their classmate’s work.
  • Teacher provides kind, thoughtful, pertinent, and abundant feedback on essays.
  • Asynchronous class: no set class time. This fit our schedule (CC/PS/Basketball) well. Some students may prefer the interaction of a classroom experience though.

Cons:

• None that I can think of (and that is unusual for me).

Rebekah Randolph offers a fabulous course in high school composition. Very professional. Very worthwhile. Highly recommend. Writing is not my son’s strength. He had never written an essay longer than 2 pages before this class. We have the ability to dual enroll at CC in 10th-12th grade here. I would not have been comfortable signing ds up for Composition at CC this year. I am now confident that he is well prepared. In fact, he’s registered for Honors Composition in the fall.

CC classes are not finished for fall semester yet, but here is the writing that ds has had to do this semester. Interesting comparison.

ENC 1121H Honors Composition 1

Definition essay 700-800 words

Narrative essay 700-800 words

Persuasive Essay 700-800 words

Fiction 700-1200 words

Timed essay

POS 2050H Honors American Government

Research Paper 500-650 words

HTH!

ETA: Ds earned an A in CC Honors Composition!