Menu

Looking for a better online phonics program than ETCOnline

mathnerd

My 5 year old has very reluctantly used ETC online for the past months and now that our subscription is expiring, we are planning to discontinue it. We do not like the graphics (dull, boring and cannot capture my son's interest at all), some words they use are not commonplace enough for my 5 year old to understand and we do not like the fact that he gets timed when he is looking for the letters on the keyboard to type a word. He has to be persuaded to use it once in 10 days and he cannot wait to be done with it and move on to other stuff. I feel sorry that I have to talk him into working with a program that he is so reluctant to use. Apparently, the ETC workbooks are much better compared to the online program and I did not do my research before subscribing.

So, I am looking for a replacement for ETC online - Reading Eggs is one option, but I don't find it challenging enough for him - he just zips through it every time he gets on to it. I want a good, solid online phonics program which will act as a supplement to his curriculum and which he can use once or twice a week for 20-30 minutes. I want it to be fun with interesting graphics and "characters" and "edutainment" as well as give him some rigor and practice. Are there any choices out there that fit the bill? We love DreamBox Math and I am looking for similar quality in online phonics programs. Thanks for your help in advance!