Menu

2nd grade - SOTW Ancients and American History?

WIS0320

Let me preface this by saying that we are using SOTW 1 this year and it has been great. It isn't thrilling my daughter but at the same time I am not hearing complaints. We do the map work, the review questions and occasionally a project of her own choosing.

She has become fascinated by the historical American Girl dolls in the last six months. She is very interested in their stories, historical periods, etc. I feel kind of like we are just missing a great opportunity by not using this interest of hers for our basis for history. But at the same time I am pretty committed to a 4 year history cycle and want to continue with ancients.

Has anyone done world history AND American history with such a young child? It screams overkill to me but I'd like to hone in on her interest while there is wind in her sails.

If you have used the American Girl dolls as a guide for a history program, what did you use? Any blog links or resources that you can give to me would be greatly appreciated as I decide what we are going to do.

Thanks!

We're doing that. We are in SOTW2 and up to the colonies in American History. I've pulled together a few resources for American History and am planning to do that over 3 years, we just do it about once a week, very laid back.

If your daughter is enjoying the books, why not do something like a loose-leaf timeline? That way you can do as much (or little) additional study around whatever books she is reading and you wouldn't necessarily have to "go in order".

We liked the SOTW lapbook, if you like projects you could make a lapbook component that then later could be coallated if you wanted - that might give some additional, tactile review.

Occasionally we talk about where the to history studies are relative to each other in time, but I haven't noticed any problems with confusion.