Menu

Silly homeschooling perk

amyrobynne

I'm almost giddy because I'll be teaching my 8 year old the multiplication algorithm tomorrow. I've got some Cuisinaire 1-rod and 10-rods and 100 number disks and a place value chart waiting. My boys both pick up math concepts pretty easily and as first-time homeschoolers, this is the first Big New Thing in math that we've hit. He's been able to read the textbook and do the problems without much help so far. We just switched from Saxon to Singapore a few weeks ago and after the endless repetition it blows my mind that he'll be multiplying big numbers this week and learning long division before Thanksgiving.

I'm a math geek, I'll admit it. When we decided to homeschool this summer, days like this are the ones I looked most forward to.

I'm a math geek, I'll admit it. When we decided to homeschool this summer, days like this are the ones I looked most forward to.

:) Me, too. I teach math at our co-op. 3 students, because, well, let's face it, math isn't the most popular subject. But we've gotten to explore SO MUCH in the past few weeks! We've done Pascal's triangles and learning square root algorithms and now we're on slide rules. :D Getting a chance to have fun with different concepts is a highlight of my week. And it helps that the 2 students who were reluctant turned really enthusiastic when they realized it wasn't drudgery.

My own kid surpasses me in conceptual understanding. It's humbling. But I like playing with numbers and the co-op class lets me share that joy.