Menu

Books about Countries

Milknhoney

I really like that the SOTW activity guide recommends books about the country that we are reading about for each chapter. However, it seems like they are all very boring. They are either too simplistic for very early ages, too advanced for the older kids, or just really dry and what third grader really cares about that kind of information. I think learning about other countries and their culture is super interesting, but I can't seem to find any books that have the interesting info in them. I like the way the DK Eyewitness books have lots of photos with information to go with it, but they are still just a little too advanced for my not yet 8-yr-old.

So, I'm looking for recommendations. Is there a really great series out there that I have missed? Or an encyclopedia of country information?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the DK Geography of the World (I have an older version but I don't think they've changed much other than the cover) has information about most countries of the world. Some books that you might find more engaging, but are not as complete as they don't have every country are How People Live, Children From Australia to Zimbabwe, and Children Just Like Me.