Menu

Need Lesson Plans for MP The Hobbit Literature guide

I purchased the Teacher Guide and Student Study Guide for The Hobbit from Memoria Press, but I was disappointed to find out that there is no lesson plans or suggested schedule in the teacher's guide. It seems kind of confusing and I don't want to frustrate my kiddo, but I want to make sure we get the maximum benefit out of the curriculum.

If you have used this literature guide and can give me some direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Blessings,

Angela

We're using it with my 6th grader this year. I too, was baffled by how often they should be doing this per week.

She's already read the book for enjoyment, so now she's reading through it with the MP guide. She's working on it 4 days out of the week: 2 complete lessons per week, 1/2 a lesson per day.

We're using it with my 6th grader this year. I too, was baffled by how often they should be doing this per week.

She's already read the book for enjoyment, so now she's reading through it with the MP guide. She's working on it 4 days out of the week: 2 complete lessons per week, 1/2 a lesson per day.

Thanks - did you incorporate the additional book notes sheets in the back too? Just trying to figure out what is a reasonable schedule or if that is overkill. I can see the benefit for literature study purposes though - but it would definitely slow us down. I'm not in a rush at all, but I think if we did those book notes sheets that it might be best to do it as a read aloud together so we can stop at the points where he would need to write something down. At 6th grade, he's not completely independent so I'm not sure he would catch when he was supposed to stop to write down a description of a dwarf, character, place, creature, etc.

Blessings,

Angela

I don't know. My daughter read it independantly and had fun discussing it with her dad. They are planning on seeing the movie together. That's as far as we have gone.

He wanted to do a literature study since his brother is enjoying LLfLoTR so much. We thought this Hobbit lit study would be more his speed and were wanting something more than just reading the book. He does a lot of assigned reading for TOG already but we wanted something deeper. :0)

Blessings,

Angela

Thanks - did you incorporate the additional book notes sheets in the back too? Just trying to figure out what is a reasonable schedule or if that is overkill. I can see the benefit for literature study purposes though - but it would definitely slow us down. I'm not in a rush at all, but I think if we did those book notes sheets that it might be best to do it as a read aloud together so we can stop at the points where he would need to write something down. At 6th grade, he's not completely independent so I'm not sure he would catch when he was supposed to stop to write down a description of a dwarf, character, place, creature, etc.

Blessings,

Angela

Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I'm not on WTM often!

I don't have her doing any of the things in the Appendix. I honestly didn't even notice it till you said something. :o Seems like overkill IMO....