Menu

IEW or Meaningful Composition

Staceyshoe

I'm agonizing over this last curriculum decision!:tongue_smilie:

I have a very reluctant writer. I suppose you could call me a reluctant writing teacher because the plan was DIY writing last year. It just didn't happen. Ds has been stuck in the same place for the past 2 years, and this is the year that I will make sure it gets done and progress is made.;) Because we are both reluctant, I have realized that a curriculum is necessary for us.

Earlier this year, I purchased Meaningful Comp. I read reviews and looked at samples ad nauseum before making that decision. It's been a few months now, and I don't recall why I was so drawn to it (though I'm certain there were reasons!). I have it here, and we haven't tried it yet.

IEW has some huge appeal for me too---especially if we did the SWI. My hope would be that the DVDs will improve the "dread" factor we have now when the word "writing" comes up. I have also heard that many reluctant writers made progress with this program.

Between MC and IEW, which would you choose? I feel guilty not using MC which I already bought. But I really think IEW would go a long way to helping us get unstuck. So, please either tell me that MC is amazing and wonderful---or that IEW is exactly what we are needing! I can't keep sitting on this fence.:bigear:

ETA: My long-term plan is WWS. Thought I would mention that in case it affects anyone's recommendation.

Edited by Staceyshoe

You could not go wrong with either one, IMHO. I had used IEW for years and loved it. I own practically everything they have put out:D. A couple of years ago I gave birth to a very high needs baby and now toddler, so writing with my now 5th grade ds was not getting done. I had heard that MC was similar to IEW, so I took the plunge with it. We are now almost at the the end of MC 4+ and I am so impressed with what my son can do now! And he did most of work on his own!

I still love IEW and think it would have been great for him too. But for me, and the season of life we are in, MC has been a great fit with great results. So, my advice would be to just start with MC since you already have it. I don't know which level you have, but I didn't love the beginning of MC 4, that is just grammar, only because we have done a lot of grammar and didn't really need it.

Hope that helps!

Beth