Menu

Would doing Ancient history and American history in the same year be confusing?

We are really behind in history, I mean really behind. I decided to just start from the beginning this year and study ancient history. However when I realized how little my dc know about American history I thought we should study it too. Do you think it would confuse my dc doing both?

We had one year when I thought two topics might be very confusing (in our case it was running the Revolutionary War and the Civil War at the same time because of two different fabulous field trip opportunities that I really didn't want to give up!) The way I worked it was to step up the craft side of things... not because DS particularly enjoyed crafts, but because it was extremely helpful to have a tangible reminder of which topic we were talking about right then.

I used the Evan Moor History Pockets, both because they had the two topics I wanted and because they had the little details (color the flags and uniforms, etc.) that I think made it easier to keep track of which was which. Basically what I wanted was for DS to make it through a weekend at Gettysburg without asking where the British were, and I got it. ;)

We had one year when I thought two topics might be very confusing (in our case it was running the Revolutionary War and the Civil War at the same time because of two different fabulous field trip opportunities that I really didn't want to give up!) The way I worked it was to step up the craft side of things... not because DS particularly enjoyed crafts, but because it was extremely helpful to have a tangible reminder of which topic we were talking about right then.

I used the Evan Moor History Pockets, both because they had the two topics I wanted and because they had the little details (color the flags and uniforms, etc.) that I think made it easier to keep track of which was which. Basically what I wanted was for DS to make it through a weekend at Gettysburg without asking where the British were, and I got it. ;)

Love this! :D

Funny!

We are doing something similar here. We are studying the Middle Ages with STOW, and doing our own thing for American History. The American History has more tangibles (crafts and moving maps) and a variety of sources. STOW is fewer crafts, blackline map work, questions and narration.

FWIW we are going to do American History over three years, so that last year we'll be doing Modern World history and Modern American history. I'm hoping to meld the two together somewhat by then...