Menu

Looking for a drafting/technical type artbook...ideas anyone?

Melissa in CA

I have tried various art programs with my 11 yo and he just doesn't like them. He loves drawing cartoons, and can 'see' how to draw in 3-D from various angles. Technical type stuff. But he very much dislikes drawing from still life, or painting landscapes, etc., which seems to be the main theme of most homeschool art curricula. It "bores" him. Artistic Pursuits was our last try...and fail. I can see this child one day becoming an architect, or some other mechanically visual/technical type career.

Does anyone know of some type of art program that is more in line with what he enjoys? I have heard of some drafting books, and I am looking into those, but perhaps there is more out there that I am not aware of. He has already completed Draw Squad, which he enjoyed, but I am looking for something a bit more academic, more techincal. Any thoughts? I am at a loss here. I want to help him develop his natural talent and interest, but have no idea in which direction to take.

~Melissa

That takes you from simply being able to trace straight and diagonal lines with a ruler on up. Starts VERY basic, nt sure how far it goes, but it seems there are several workbook levels LINE DESIGN is the name of them , I think. They also have a computer drafting program which guides you through computer drafting work, similar to the CAD program my husband uses as a land surveryor.Again, they are both available at TimberdoodleHTHJulie

Thanks Julie!

I am looking in my 2007 Timberdoodle catty. Are you talking about the Complete-A-Sketch series? If so, these are the set of drafting type books I had already decided to purchase. I think my son will breeze through these in no time though. :o

I was hoping there was something else out there as well.

If not, wow, I see a money making business for someone with technical art knowledge! :-)