Menu

confused about science schedule

My dd has decided to return to HS next year (not this fall but the next fall) instead of the CC we had planned on. I'm fine with that but--I'm confused.

To receive a distinguished diploma (college bound) , she must have 4 sciences and it looks like one of them must be AP Biology. She just finished freshman Biology. Does this mean she has to have credits for 2 Biologies? Or--heaven forbid--that her first class doesn't count?

The high school she wishes to attend is not open this summer for questions. And I'm assuming that when they reopen in the fall, they will be more focused (understandably) on students enrolled at that point, not students planning for the next year.

However, I need to help my dd choose her classes now. And the classes we choose need to fall in line with the requirements of the school she want to attend her Junior year.

I'm sure (hoping?) there's a simple solution/explanation for this. Can anyone help me out?

Thankful for these boards and the helpful advice found there,

Nandell

My daughter transferred into public school as a sophomore. I had to have a transcript from an accredited school in order for her to receive credit towards graduation. Since I had been following the Kolbe Academy plans, I back enrolled and turned in all the paper work to generate a transcript.

More info than you need - but you should check what you need to provide the school in order to receive credit. They are all different.

For science in our school, you need Biology and Chemistry to be eligible for AP Biology. Students have to apply for the class and not all get accepted.

Thanks--we have been using Keystone classes for 9th and the school did say they would accept these as it's an accredited school. I would like her to get a distinguished diploma, Which in Texas means college bound.

I'm just a little mixed up about the order to take her science classes. She is not going to be a science major-her strengths and interests are in languages , linguistics, and writing. But , if I'm interpreting this correctly, she has to take AP Biology to get the dist. diploma

What I really need is to talk with an admissions counselor, I guess. She is considering Rice University but has in noways made up her mind about what college she wants.

More research for me to do I guess.

I would recommend talking to the school counselor. Even if you think they are interested in current students, they will answer your questions, too!

About AP Biology, it is generally taken later in HS and HS Biology is taken as a freshman. Yes, she will take Bio twice. It's like this...a student takes Bio in HS and then again in college. Here she is taking Bio as a HS freshman, and then again as a jr/sr in an AP class which counts as college credit. Both classes *should* count as a science credit.