Menu

Which DVD version of Macbeth?

Oh gosh, I'm not sure about appropriateness for teens but the Great Performances version featuring Patrick Stewart is AMAZING!! It has updated the setting to a Stalin-esque communist type place, turned the witches into battlefield nurses, and is totally creepy! I loved it.

It was streaming on Netflix for a while but may have gone back to dvd only. I don't know about your family's tolerance for violence and spooky imagery, so you may want to preview this one first. The dialogue is all straight Shakespeare but the updating ... wow .... just wow...

This sound really interesting.

The Orson Welles production is very well known. We borrowed it from the library.

Oh gosh, I'm not sure about appropriateness for teens but the Great Performances version featuring Patrick Stewart is AMAZING!! It has updated the setting to a Stalin-esque communist type place, turned the witches into battlefield nurses, and is totally creepy! I loved it.

It was streaming on Netflix for a while but may have gone back to dvd only. I don't know about your family's tolerance for violence and spooky imagery, so you may want to preview this one first. The dialogue is all straight Shakespeare but the updating ... wow .... just wow...

This was highly recommended in an old thread. It sounds great. I should probably preview on my (now fixed) treadmill.

The Orson Welles production is very well known. We borrowed it from the library.

I think this one is Peter Leithart's top choice in Brightest Heaven of Invention. I tried a black and white version of Julius Caesar though (a few years ago), and it did nothing to increase my kids' love for Shakespeare. Quite the opposite. So, I was a little wary of this version. Did your kids like it?