Menu

Need suggestions for part-time SS, science, LA, etc., dd in "brain training" school

Guest mikkelborg

Guest mikkelborg

Hi! My 8-yr old dd is going into 3rd grade, with her school day ending at 5 p.m., due to homework club. I'll start with the question, then the explanation is below.

Can anyone recommend any part-time or supplemental curriculum for, well, really anything -- social studies, history, science, art history. I am not looking for something that needs to be taught daily or is highly academic or challenging, but perhaps something video based, or hands-on activities, that can be seen/done in the evening or on weekends.

For example, it's time to learn about Rosa Parks, and I can show her a video about Rosa Parks -- without my having to sift through pages of Youtube videos to find something child-friendly and appropriate.

Would Discovery Education Streaming be suitable? Can you recommend any books that follow the 3rd grade school year that do not have a heavy academic base, but are perhaps project-based (such as when fall comes, I get examples of fall art projects or fall science projects).

I hope I don't come across as being flippant or that I can educate my dd with a bunch of videos, but I do want to supplement somehow, but in an easy way, because apparently the school she will be attending is very, very mentally exhausting.

Explanation:

I am sending dd to an alternative program which is meant to build the weak parts of her brain (Arrowsmith Program from Canada, new to WA state), thus increasing her cognitive abilities. Because she will be doing mental exercises all day, and very little academics, I would like to supplement with anything, but I would like it to be either hands-on or passive learning (videos).

Halfway through 2nd grade when I saw she was really falling behind, I took her out of public school to homeschool, in partnership with our district's home support program. Initially, it went well, but in spite of my efforts, she felt isolated and lonely and begged to return to school. I knew she wouldn't thrive in the traditional academic school setting -- not to mention we live in a highly-educated area where parents have their children tutored just to get ahead -- and then the Arrowsmith program became a possibility. So, we are taking the chance on this alternative.

DD has been tested by a neuropsych and shows weaknesses in verbal abilities, working memory, along with a few other problematic areas. She tests "within the range" at school so does not qualify for any special services.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kind regards, Lizbeth

If she is going to be mentally exhausted after school, then I would not plan to supplement with anything. Use your time together in the evenings and on weekends to have fun as a family. If anything, I'd plan on reading good books aloud to her. But I wouldn't try to *plan* anything else. If you happen to want to watch a documentary together, then go ahead. But it sounds like she'll be busy enough in her new program. There's plenty of time to work on the academics once she is finished with the program. (I'm assuming it's a short-term thing.)

Guest mikkelborg

Thanks, I didn't know about the "afterschooling" group! I will look there.

@Lotsofpumpkins: I agree; thanks for the perspective. I forgot to look into living books as an option. In fact, we are listening to Sarah Plain and Tall and I could incorporate some history into that, or prepare meals from that era -- or even watch the movie afterwards. :001_smile: