Menu

Classic TOG'ers -- Counting credits? and which Year Plan = "World History"?

I only have redesigned so I am not totally sure that my answers will completely work for you.

1) I would definitely use Modern World History, and I think I would prefer Twentieth Century World History because technically modern history is anything after the middle ages (see here). Year Four in redesign does not feel like a complete year of modern world history because it is much more US focused. I think at best 1/2. If you do all four tapestry years then I'd use Ancient History as my world history credit. I would even be comfortable with including Year Two as a full year of world history because Tapestry does a good job in going back and forth in the final two units with other parts of world history.

2) I don't think you can count a year's worth of geography as 1/2 credit of geography. At best I think 1/4 credit. I think that even mores so in Year 4 because Tapestry does its best and strongest work with geography in Year 1 where they look at how the geography influenced the culture that arose in it. In successive years, this is less important.

3)Tapestry provides guidance for course descriptions and possible credits over on their website, I'd hunt about and see if you could turn up what you are looking for. However, I did write course descriptions using Year 1 which we did last year, so I am going to list the titles below and how much credit I am giving for them.

• Ancient History full credit
  • Ancient Literature full credit
  • Government - this course will probably end up getting 1 credit for all four years; I suspect that we will do more than one credit's worth of work, but it's a fine line and I'd rather be restrained
  • Art History 1/4 credit for this year in anticipation of 3 more years
  • Music History - no credit for this year, I expect to give a full credit at the end of four years, but I am less sure about this one. I need to provide music so we'll see as our schedule is already packed.
  • Philosophy - 1/4 credit with an anticipation of a full credit at the end of four years.
  • Development of Religion - I have debated giving a larger credit for this class as we did substantial work on it this year and I anticipate similar levels of work over the next three years. I'm thinking more like 1/2 credit per year. If I go this route I think I will use two course titles: "Development of World Religions with an emphasis on European Church History" and "Modern Church Movements in American Society."

I would encourage you to make a close comparison of some of these areas because I am not sure if classic provided as much reading as redesigned does. For instance, in philosophy, I think maybe they add a whole text on the subject whereas in classic they just relied on the Simplicio dialogues which in my opinion would not be enough.

Edited by Candid

Yes! That was helpful, especially the course descriptions and Dana's Mapping High School

Thank you for your input. The only other thing I have to compare to is Sonlight's 20th Century course, which contains about half of the same titles as my TOG. Dana's sample high school sequence shows Year 3 as the World History credit, and Year 4 as US History. I thought that The Story of Philosophy was scheduled in Year 4 but you are right, it is just Simplico.

Remember I don't know for sure about classic! Also look for The Universe Next Door in Year Four for philosophy. If they have that then a quarter credit as I note I am going to do would work.

I will have to think on this some more. What we do not want for World History is an Ancients to 20th C. survey course like I see in most traditional (boxed) curriculums.

One thing to remember is you are just beginning 9th grade. You can make this call at the end of the year and you will have a lot better idea of what you've actually done.