Menu

Prairie Primer, tell me about it

~~There is one unit per Little House book. Each unit is 4 weeks long with the exception of 4 Years. It is only 2 weeks.

~~At the beginning of each unit you are given background info and general activities to be worked on thru out the unit. This generally includes Bible passages for memory, science study, and a bio to be read. There is also a group activity to plan for that will be done at the end of the unit.

~~At the beginning of each week you will find a planning guide. This will give you the topics that will be covered that you need to gather resources for. Sometimes resource suggestions are given. You are by no means locked into those suggestions only. Suggested field trips will be in this section also.

~~Each day you will find comp questions for the assigned chapter(s) and several activities to be worked on that day. These will be much smaller than the activities to be worked on through out the unit. These can come from any subject and can include: Bible reading, science research, mapping, history projects , vocab, music, report writing, art and more.

In my opinion it is a wonderful unit study and can easily take you 2 years to do if you choose to do all of the activities. As it has been said in other threads: it is not just for girls. There are so many topics that a boy would love. I noticed that you use HOD. PP is different as there is foot work for you. There is no package; you choose your resources and your activities. Emphasis is Biblical.

~~There is one unit per Little House book. Each unit is 4 weeks long with the exception of 4 Years. It is only 2 weeks.

~~At the beginning of each unit you are given background info and general activities to be worked on thru out the unit. This generally includes Bible passages for memory, science study, and a bio to be read. There is also a group activity to plan for that will be done at the end of the unit.

~~At the beginning of each week you will find a planning guide. This will give you the topics that will be covered that you need to gather resources for. Sometimes resource suggestions are given. You are by no means locked into those suggestions only. Suggested field trips will be in this section also.

~~Each day you will find comp questions for the assigned chapter(s) and several activities to be worked on that day. These will be much smaller than the activities to be worked on through out the unit. These can come from any subject and can include: Bible reading, science research, mapping, history projects , vocab, music, report writing, art and more.

In my opinion it is a wonderful unit study and can easily take you 2 years to do if you choose to do all of the activities. As it has been said in other threads: it is not just for girls. There are so many topics that a boy would love. I noticed that you use HOD. PP is different as there is foot work for you. There is no package; you choose your resources and your activities. Emphasis is Biblical.

Thank you this is very helpful. :001_smile:

I forgot HOD was in my sig, it is what I had planned but things changed and we are doing something of my own creation. I am thinking PP for the next thing we do. Doing the footwork is not a prob.

Also I wanted to say I have the older version. There is not much difference except I have a spiral and the new ones have a few printout sheets. There may be a few other things here and there, but not a lot.

I forgot to tell what the appendix has:

**Each of the following topics include : shows characteristics and Illustrations found in the Bible. List the Biblical command, reaction to discipline, and how the gift can be misused.

~~The Gift of Teaching

~~Gift of Prophecy

~~Gift of Serving

~~Gift of Mercy

~~Gift of Exhortation

~~Gift of Giving

~~Gift of Ruling

How Can We Discover Our Motivational Gift

Hindrances to Discovering Your Gift

There is also a bibliography of resources and places you may find them. I just use Amazon Marketplace with great success. And on the very back page of my copy there is a list of the top 10 resources used. You may not want the exact title, but you may wish to have good substitutes at least for some of these. For instance I didn't get the cookbook as we can't eat a large percentage of what they did, but I did look it over at the library. For me this was a resource I could do without even though it would be fun just to read. But I did get Inspector Body Guard as I love the way there is a fictional story describing what is happening in the body. Makes it fun for kids---and understandable. But you may have an Usborne book on your shelf that would be just as good and cover the topics well.

Thank you this is very helpful. :001_smile:

I forgot HOD was in my sig, it is what I had planned but things changed and we are doing something of my own creation. I am thinking PP for the next thing we do. Doing the footwork is not a prob.

Notice my siggy does not include what we are doing! Hehe! Because of life right now I have not settled on just one thing. It is too confusing to list so I don't. But if you are doing your own thing then PP will actually be easier when and if you decide to use it. :)

Notice my siggy does not include what we are doing! Hehe! Because of life right now I have not settled on just one thing. It is too confusing to list so I don't. But if you are doing your own thing then PP will actually be easier when and if you decide to use it. :)

Thanks so much for the info on PP. It is very much appreciated and very helpful. Knowing it is Biblically rich helps. I am enjoying what I am doing now (World Cultures using Children Just Like Me and loosly using Galloping the Globe) and will want to do some sort of US history (even if it is just one time period) before hitting HOD Preparing. I also want fun, hands on and notebooking. PP, HOD Bigger or doing a few Time Travelers is what I am thinking. The info you gave will help make that decision.:D