Menu

Newbie coming out of lurkdom with a plan - WDYT?

redgal

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these boards for a couple of months now, reading everything I can here and in the WTM and giving myself a crash course in classical ed after I grew dissatisfied with a pure waldorf/montessori approach. Classical Ed reminds me a lot of my own traditional (British) schooling so I was super happy to come across it.

DD1 will be starting K in September (she'll be 5 in December). We have done a few workbooks here and there but mainly creative play and lots of arts, crafts, nature walks and read-alouds until now. Recently, she has been begging to learn how to read,trying to read books herself and sounding out a few letters here and there. She can write her name and count objects up to 5 etc. She has also asked to learn the piano, read about animals and do loads of art so is very keen to start school. Here's what I am planning, based on her interests and trying to make it fun:

Reading & Writing: Jolly Phonics, Keywords with Peter & Jane, and games (e.g. Peggy Kaye Books and others I have on hand). Of course, I will continue lots of read-alouds too.

Maths: Singapore Earlybird & Essential A & B (have both), MEP-Reception, and games (e.g.Cuisenaire Activity & Exploration Book, Peggy Kaye's Math Games Book).

Science - Elemental Science's Exploring & Intro ( going to dip into parts from each here and there), Animals Around the World Study ( self-designed with lots of crafts/hand-on activities), Nature Study ( using Handbook of Nature Study/Outdoor Hour Challenges and field trips).

Music: Piano - Children's Musical Journey Level 1, General/Singing - Pfeiffer House Music K and maybe later a study of musical instruments ( using Those Amazing Musical instruments or the Story of the Orchestra etc)

Geography:Trip Around the World ( self-designed using Little Passports and doing a country of the month with cooking, crafts, stories from that country, discovering where it is on the map, looking at DK Children Like Me book, and DK Celebrations book etc)

History: a Pre-history curriculum from big bang to first man to prepare for SOTW1 next year.

Arts & Crafts: Artistic Pursuits The Way They See It ( to prep for AP1 next year), Drawing With Children (as a family) and other art books and projects along the way from the masses of arts/crafts books we have accumulated so far!

Circle Time (rhymes, songs, stories, games, movement) - Enki K and Waldorf inspired activities.

Swimming lesson x 1 per week and soccer class x 1 per week ( at her request)

Continue with yoga, board games, read- alouds, play-dates and lots of trips to the local playground :)

It now seems a lot now that I write it out and I won' t mention the stand-by's I have on hand, the number of favourites I added to my browser, or my huge amazon wish list...;) but any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I am so excited to find this forum and get started!

TIA:D

Edited by redgal

I'm not familiar with some of your choices. I'm sure some will say its too much and to take it easy. You know yourself and your child best. It does look like a lot all written out, but it won't all be at the same time. As long as you're flexible with dropping something if it is too much, and respond to your daughter's needs, I think it looks great.

The only thing I would add is some sort of 'writing' program - whether it is HWOT (Handwriting without Tears) or Writing with Ease -anything to get her writing consistently.

The rest looks good, but if you notice her lagging or emotional or fidgety, try not to get wrapped up in completing your plan, and move on.

I hope you have a great year!:001_smile:

Thank you both.

Part of me wanting to write it out here is that I need a reminder to take it easy. I have also stuck up a big sign on my mirror that the 3R's are the most important this year and everything else is an extra...so hard to remember that though!

They do some writing of letters and words in both Jolly Phonics and Peter & Jane books but I was thinking of adding some free printable writing sheets and incorporating copywork into our other subjects - would that work versus a program?

Thank you both.

Part of me wanting to write it out here is that I need a reminder to take it easy. I have also stuck up a big sign on my mirror that the 3R's are the most important this year and everything else is an extra...so hard to remember that though!

They do some writing of letters and words in both Jolly Phonics and Peter & Jane books but I was thinking of adding some free printable writing sheets and incorporating copywork into our other subjects - would that work versus a program?

Sure. Anything to help develop the fine motor skills really - even art projects - Peggy Kaye has that wonderful Writing Games book too. Also Scholastic has dollar deals where you can pick up some really cute booklets on science and math and such that will get her writing too.

learningpage.com has free writing practice pages for print and cursive, as well as other fun stuff for that age. You'll have to sign up to get access; the rare emails from them have been well worth it IMO.

When her letter formation is solid and you're ready for copywork, you can make your own printable copywork pages at Zaner-Bloser. I tend to just write the copywork piece at the top of their writing tablet, after choosing the piece last minute from one of their books.

Looks good to me! I don't recognize some of your programs, but looks like you have it all covered. Good luck! :)

Not sure if this is the same type of thing as the copywork maker someone else suggested... This one is a handwriting worksheet generator that you can print out. You can type in what you want the child to write (like their name or whatever phrase in dotted letters). You can choose from different styles, too. I think it's pretty handy: http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/

Edited by TaraJo29