Menu

Speaking of encyclopedias, methods, and logic stage...

Rhondabee

We cleaned out our garage recently, and so I pulled out the very old (1970's - my mom bought them one at a time from the grocery store) encyclopedias we had boxed up. It's been 2 years, and I still haven't made it to a library sale!!

Anyway, I remembered that one of the problems we had with trying to do living books and student research with Kingfisher in 5th grade was when my ds wanted to know more about Stilicho, and couldn't find *anything* - not even online. Now, we had just started homeschooling, I was still working from home, and had a new baby ~ so I didn't even consider going to the library to look in an encyclopedia.

Then, my mom dumped these old ones on me, and I just ignored them, basically. But, I just now looked up Stilicho - and there are 4 beautiful paragraphs. Just enough that *if* we had looked, my ds could have written a paragraph summary. It would have been perfect, and many tears of frustration would have been averted!

Oooooh......I'm trying really hard not to feel guilt over "wasting" so many opportunities in the last 2 years! Figured at least I could share that here, and maybe save someone else that "Oh, *Now* is a grand time to be figuring this stuff out!" moment. ;)

Have a great weekend!

Rhonda

We cleaned out our garage recently, and so I pulled out the very old (1970's - my mom bought them one at a time from the grocery store) encyclopedias we had boxed up. It's been 2 years, and I still haven't made it to a library sale!!

Anyway, I remembered that one of the problems we had with trying to do living books and student research with Kingfisher in 5th grade was when my ds wanted to know more about Stilicho, and couldn't find *anything* - not even online. Now, we had just started homeschooling, I was still working from home, and had a new baby ~ so I didn't even consider going to the library to look in an encyclopedia.

Then, my mom dumped these old ones on me, and I just ignored them, basically. But, I just now looked up Stilicho - and there are 4 beautiful paragraphs. Just enough that *if* we had looked, my ds could have written a paragraph summary. It would have been perfect, and many tears of frustration would have been averted!

Oooooh......I'm trying really hard not to feel guilt over "wasting" so many opportunities in the last 2 years! Figured at least I could share that here, and maybe save someone else that "Oh, *Now* is a grand time to be figuring this stuff out!" moment. ;)

Have a great weekend!

Rhonda

This is good to hear, as I acquired a 1983 set of World Books last year for $5, and a free set of Encyclopedia Britannica from 1970 a few months ago! I'll get as much use out of them as possible!