Menu

Help With Grade 1 Writing Skills

Stina2000

Hi. I'm looking for recommendations on a program to get my first grader writing better. He's an excellent reader (reads at a 4th grade level) and speller, but he just doesn't seem interested in formulating his thoughts on paper. How can I help him in this area and make it fun? Any ideas?

Listen to this:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/elementary-grades-mp3.html

:)

FWIW, my oldest did not put his own thoughts on paper until THIS year... 3rd grade. He's doing very well with it now. He was not at all ready to write originally in 1st grade. He was tortured with forced journaling in school for the first semester, and then the 2nd semester we did oral narrations and small amounts of copywork. My being patient and working with him bit by bit has paid off.

I do not subscribe to the public school way of teaching writing, btw. I have seen the results in high schoolers. Blech.

Thank you for your input. I've acted as his scribe for all of the writing mostly... Besides his handwriting and copywork, etc. I just didn't know when it's necessary that he's doing these things on his own. We use Sonlight and love it. Sometimes I struggle with knowing where he "should" be because he reads SO far ahead and his math skills for a 6 years old are incredible too. Thanks!