Menu

Knowledge Box Timline

Country Girl

I spoke with my friend and she said she never got around to using and it's been so long she can't remember everything she thought about it. She did say she wished the pages were turned horizontally and that there wasn't so much prep work involved (I guess there is a lot of cutting involved to get the timeline up and usable). She just never had the time or wanted to dedicate the time to use it.

Don't know if that helps or not. I sure wish someone's that used it would comment. Not because I would use it, but I like to hear others thoughts on items like these and I would like to see your question answered. :)

I use Knowledge Quest timeline books. They are hardbound books. The only negative is that I wish they went further ahead in years. If I could afford any timeline book, I would purchase Amy Pak's from Homeschooling in the Woods: Record of Time. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her timeline, but with 4 children who would use it, it makes it kinda pricey. I purchased the ones from KQ on a bump and scratch sale and got them really inexpensively.

Amy (from Homeschool in the Woods) also gives a lot of other ways to do timlines w/o purchasing a timeline book. Check out what she shared HERE.

Good Luck! :)

Has anyone used the Stages of the Ages timeline by Knowledge Box? If so, is it all that it claims to be? How user friendly is it (once you get it set up)? Can someone describe the layout a little better for me, I can't quite grasp how it works.

Thanks!

I didn't catch this when you first posted it. I will go ahead and give my perspective, and if you have already made a decision, then it will be out there for someone who does a search for the same answer. :001_smile:

At the time she wrote it she was using TOG (I don't think she is anymore). From what I have seen TOG has a TON of possible timeline figures each week. I think the fewest I have seen is 4, and most of the time it is around 10, and sometimes even more. I mean it is TOG, they give you all the possibilities and expect that if you don't want to do them all that you will just pick what is important to you. :D

So it really is laid out pretty cool. We are in the 1800's, and each section has 25 years. A section starts with a map, then has several pages of timelines that cover the same time, but different areas: History& Politics; Religion Philosophy & Learning; Literature & Theater; Visual Arts & Music; Science Technology & Growth; Daily Life. So once you open it up on the right there is the map and on the left there is a 25 year timeline with tabs showing. Each tab has one of the above titles on it. When the child goes to place a timeline figure they mark what area the person was from on the map, then place it under their respective tab.

It really is a neat idea. It does take some figuring to print it out the first, but after the first you just repeat. I think the bigger problem is that if you aren't doing the high volume of figures, then it is going to be a little scarce. It has 6 pages for each 25 years. Now I only pick 4-6 of the timline figures each week to cover and most of the time they are government officials (we are talking early American history), so the end result is that most the pages except the History & Politics end up pretty empty.

That said you can modify it and drop all the extra pages. Next time I print out a section I plan to just do the map page and History/Politics page. I will just have her put all her figures on the one page. If later I decide I want add a section, the I can either add a whole page, or just draw a line on the single page and put a label out to the side that says what it is for.

It is one of the cheaper timeline options (I got it in sale).

Heather

Tina, thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to ask your friend for her opinion. Her comment about not wanting to spend the time needed to get it up and running is very helpful. I could definitely see that happening to me... just another thing to sit on the "shelf".

Thank you also for the links of the other timeline books and tips. I'm going to check them out!

Thanks!